Best 30 Degree Backpacking Sleeping Bag to Keep You Warm on a Chilly Night
There’s no denying that a quality sleeping bag is vital to a hiker’s comfort. This is especially true when it comes to exploring the great outdoors in extreme weather, an urge that many enthusiasts just can’t resist. When the temperature drops dramatically at night as you lie still, ready for a refreshing rest, the key is to keep the air around you neither too hot nor too cold and, of course, to stay dry no matter what. The question is, how do you do it?
Hyke & Byke’s Shavano, the best 30 degree backpacking sleeping bag in my opinion, has every chance of becoming your go-to sleeping bag for a considerable part of the year. Read my reviews of the top 5 sleeping bag models that will feel comfortable at around 30 degrees Fahrenheit (not to be confused with 30 below sleeping bags) to find out why and learn about four excellent alternatives you might use depending on your budget and priorities.
Best Sleeping Bag Models for 30°F
- Hyke & Byke Shavano 32 Degree F 650 Fill Power Hydrophobic Down Sleeping Bag
- Winner Outfitters Mummy Sleeping Bag with Compression Sack
- Mummy Down Sleeping Bag, 41 Degree F 600 Fill Power 4 Season Warm & Cold Weather
- Coleman White Water Adult Sleeping Bag, Big & Tall
- Browning Camping McKinley -30 Degree Sleeping Bag
Please note that most of the bags here are rated for 30 degrees Fahrenheit as the comfort temperature. One model is a minus 30 degree sleeping bag that is meant to deliver reliable performance in sub-zero conditions but might come in handy on not-so-cold days as well as thus deserves to be mentioned here.back to menu ↑
1. Hyke & Byke Shavano: Best 30 Degree Down Sleeping Bag
Owned by a trio of engineers who are also outdoor enthusiasts, Hyke & Byke is a relatively young manufacturer of hiking gear that seeks to reduce non-product related costs. What we get as a result is clever design at a reasonable price, as illustrated by this Shavano 30 degree mummy sleeping bag.
Packed with duck down that has a fill power of 650, the product boasts a weight of just around 2 lbs, which is very light given the mummy design. Speaking of the shape, it is known to be the warmest option due to the hood that envelopes your head to protect it from the elements. Paired with down insulation that offers more warmth than synthetic fiber, this results in excellent performance over a range of 20 to 40 degrees.
There is a lining of rip-resistant 400T 20 D nylon to prevent the sleeping bag from getting wet on the outside. Other durability features include snag-free zippers by the Japanese giant YKK and no-snag Velcro fasteners. With its wide shoulders and roomy footbox, the sleeping bag doesn’t feel too restrictive given how it’s designed. The horizontal baffles help the insulation stay in place.
The model comes in five colors and three sizes to choose from, depending on how tall you are. If you purchase it, you also get a compression bag that can spare you a considerable amount of packing space. The model might be more expensive than some other options but far from premium-priced given its set of features. Hyke & Byke offers a life-time warranty for this sleeping bag, so you needn’t worry about your investment never paying off.
- 2.24lbs SAVE SPACE and SHAVE WEIGHT with ultralight premium quality duck down filling (superior to synthetic) - nature's best light insulator with the highest warmth-to-weight ratio to beat the cold outdoor winter weather.
- STAY WARM and DRY as a result of Water-resistant shell fabric and Hydrophobic 650FP duck down - the microscopic air clusters found in down feathers create "loft" that trap heat and keeps you warm.
- HIKE FARTHER with our LIGHTEST MUMMY DOWN SLEEPING BAG available for this quality and price. Summit any mountain or camp by the summer sea with these compact bags and have room for carrying your favorite fleece blanket or silk liner, goose filled pillow, and pad.
- LONG LASTING DURABILITY from ultralight water repellent 400T 20 D ripstop nylon fabric liner with two YKK zippers, wide shoulders and large footbox, snag-free Velcro, drawstring, horizontal baffles, and compression stuff sack case for storage included. Comes in size Regular or Long (Tall / XL). Equipped for the trailhead, from the Alps to Everest.
- HYKE & BYKE is a brand of outdoor gear that started small but has quickly made a big impression on outdoor enthusiasts across the world amongst men, women, and children alike. Our vision of providing maximum value for every person looking to go outdoors is possible through beating big brands at getting the best materials at low cost, and connecting with our customers.
- Excellent heat preservation at 20 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit;
- Very lightweight;
- Water-repellent outer lining;
- Three sizes to choose from;
- Not excessively restrictive for a mummy bag.
- Not the cheapest model out there.
back to menu ↑
2. WINNER OUTFITTERS 3/4 Season Mummy Bag: An Affordable Lightweight 30 Degree Sleeping Bag
Shoppers on a limited budget who value versatility as much as the warmth will probably appreciate this three-to-four season model. It is rated for 35 to 40 degrees, which is its comfortable temperature. That is, an average sleeper is still likely to stay reasonably warm if the temperature drops a little below this range.
The keyway in which this model differs from my top pick is that it carries synthetic 200G/㎡ Hollow Fiber insulation rather than natural down. While being less warm and lofty, synthetic fiber has the advantage of still insulating when wet. It is also hypoallergenic. Combined with 350T polyester lining, this makes the bag warm and safe at 30 degrees.
The strong double slider zipper can be used to adjust the temperature depending on the weather. It comes with a compression sack and is quite lightweight at just 2.8 lbs. The main zipper has only one positioning option and might be difficult to fasten for some users. The bag measures 87″ x 32″ and only comes in one size.
- High-quality material: 350T Polyester with coating shell makes the sleeping bag ultra soft, waterproof and rip-stop, So it can keep you warm even in extreme weather and prevent you from any dampness. Comes with 200G/㎡ Hollow Fiber fill which enhances non-allergetic, pro-environmental and better insulating performance. You'll feel comfortable when temperature is between 35F and 40F. But these are designed to keep the average sleeper warm even at near-freezing temperatures(20F).
- Two Sack Note:Our compression sack and sleeping bag load in one random color stuff sack,when you get the sleeping out, you will find the compression sack.Skin-Friendly & Easy to Clean: The bag has 350T polyester lining which is skin-friendly and soft, you feel very comfortable and sleep like kids or baby when you lie in it.Our sleeping bags are also extremely easy to clean as they are safer for machine wash too.
- Lightweight & Portable: Thanks for the Mummy design, this sleeping bag weighs only 2.8 pounds. Mummy sleeping bag not only fit adult body very well, but also reduce extra weight. Moreover, each sleeping bag comes with a travel-friendly carry bag, a compression sack with straps, which makes it quite convenient to store and carry the sleeping bag along. It's really perfect for camping, hiking, travel & Outdoor Activities.
- SBS zipper: With SBS double slider zipper, it can adjust the temperature according your demand. So the camping sleeping bag could be used in 3-4 season. SBS is the famous zipper company like YKK. Every zipper takes 120,000 times stretch test to make sure the performance. The bag has draft collars and zipper draft tubes, which could prevent warm lose and cold come in. Finally it enhance insulation performance with the draft tubes.
- Holiday Gift Choice for Christmas, We provide detailed instructions for use and maintenance procedures in the pictures and description, if there are other problems, we will reply you in the first time.
- Not likely to hurt your budget;
- Warm and dry;
- Offers versatility in terms of temperature;
- Hypoallergenic and skin-friendly materials.
- The zipper can be a pain to fasten;
- One size only.
back to menu ↑
3. ECOOPRO 41 Degree Mummy Bag: 30 Degree Down Sleeping Bags on a Budget
Hikers who aren’t prepared to overinvest in their sleeping bag but still want it to be down rather than synthetic will love this model by ECOOPRO, a Delaware-based manufacturer of accessibly priced hiking gear.
The comfort temperature of this bag is 59 degrees Fahrenheit, 32 marking the beginning of what ECOOPRO describes as transition, i.e., colder-than-ideal conditions. I still consider it a viable option unless you are a cold sleeper. Inside, there is a 600 fill power duck down that has been given Teflon treatment to make it more resistant to humidity, hidden beneath a layer of 380T water- and wind-proof polyester.
This sleeping bag uses the classic mummy design and is likely to feel constricting if you are even a hint claustrophobic. I also cannot recommend it to someone who tosses and turns in their sleep as there is just 16 inches of foot space. Only one size is available, measuring 78” x 30”, so it might be a great deal for a petite and still sleeper.
One advantage of this model is that it is as light as 2 lbs and easily packable into a 12-inch high bag (a compression sack is included).
- 🌟【Based on Your Needs】Are you looking for a warm and compact down sleeping bag? Are you looking for a sleeping bag that can be used by both adults and children?Are you worrying about how to save travel luggage space? In order to meet the needs of our customers, we have produced this lightweight down sleeping bag.
- 🌟【High-Quality & Ultralight Waterproof】Using 600 FP white duck down (650g), containing up to 90% down, which through Teflon-treated for better durability and warmth, suitable temperature is 0-15°C (32-59°F). 400T polyester with a water resistant coating protects against windy and wet weather.
- 🌟【Professional Design to Keep Warm】Unique diamond-shaped sewing thread provides independent space for duck down, Lock down down piece by piece, effectively prevents fluff from falling out and stabilizes the down. Polyester fabric on the surface, effectively prevents heat loss and enhances heat retention, which made you have a comfortable and warm sleep.
- 🌟【Save Space & Portable】 Camping sleeping bag can accommodate adults or two children. ( 86 L x 30" W) The folding size is: 12 x 7 x 6.69 inch (2 lbs), Easy to carry around in a variety of outdoor activities, such as camping, scouts trip, hiking, adventure, climbing etc. It's also a great choose as the extra bed in a hotel room .
- Not expensive;
- Warm and reasonably lofty with down insulation;
- Resistant to water and wind;
- Lightweight and portable;
- Good head coverage.
- For still sleepers only;
- It won’t fit all body types.
back to menu ↑
4. Coleman White Water: Best 30 Degree Sleeping Bag for Tossy-Turny Sleepers
If you just know that a mummy bag isn’t your thing but still want to stay warm, the rectangular Coleman model rated for 30 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit might be the perfect option.
Its simple, roomy design is paired with a warm insulating filling made of cotton. The inner lining is made of soft brushed polyester for added comfort. The outer layer is again polyester to protect you from humidity and wind. FiberLock keeps the insulation in place no matter how much you toss and turn.
Although this bag only comes in one size and color, it will fit most people up to 5 feet 11 inches tall regardless of their body type. The Comfort Cuff plush edge adds more comfort to it as you can rest your head on something soft and welcoming. Apart from this, the model features ZipPlow to prevent its no-heat-loss zipper from snagging.
A lot of effort has been put into simplifying the roll-up, especially when done by 1 person. You can pack the 0.4 lbs bag in no time using the Quick Cord feature and built-in roll control.
Unfortunately, the model only had one zipper positioning option.
- Adult sleeping bag for camping in temperatures as low as 30 degrees Fahrenheit
- Can accommodate most people up to 5 feet 11 inches tall
- Brushed polyester cover, cozy liner, and ComfortCuff provide softness and warmth
- ZipPlow system plows away fabric to prevent snagging during zipping
- Roll Control design and patented no-tie closure for easy one-person packing
- Roomy design;
- Extremely lightweight;
- Well-made fastener;
- Reasonably warm;
- Easy to pack up.
- Not left-handed friendly.
back to menu ↑
5. Browning Camping McKinley -30 Degree Sleeping Bag: The Best of 30 Below Sleeping Bags
It’s essential that you have a sleeping bag that’s rated for more cold than you expect in your destination.
At nearly 13 lbs, this Browning Camping model is not what you might call an ultralight 30 degree sleeping bag. It might be worth it, though, if you consider the warmth of its rectangular interior, powered by two layers of 7 denier TechLoft Silver insulation and covered with 210T rip-stop nylon on the outside.
Measuring 90″ x 36″, this bag offers sufficient wiggle space for restless sleepers. The design is enhanced with a mummy-like contour hood to keep your head warm, making it a mixture of the two approaches.
Despite its weight, the bag can be viewed as portable due to the effective compression bag that it comes with.
- Outer shell made of extremely durable 210T nylon diamond rip stop fabric paired with a brushed polyester liner
- Designed to keep you warm during extreme weather this -30 degree bag is filled with our 7 denier TechLoft Silver insulation
- Insulated chest and zipper baffle with two-layer construction s to trap in maximum heat and prevent unwanted cold spots
- Our Browning Camping McKinley Sleeping Bag is on our best sellers list a must-have in your camping collection
- Dimensions 36" x 90" Weight 12 lbs 12 oz Fill Weight 160 oz Compression stuff sack included
- Spacious interior;
- Combines rectangular design with a mummy-style hood;
- Extremely warm;
- Resistant to water and wind.
- On the pricey side;
back to menu ↑
Shopping for a 30 Degree Sleeping Bag
I advise you to take your time before you go looking for a cold-weather sleeping bag so that you can make a well-informed decision and won’t leave you freezing and regretful. Here are the key things to consider when it comes to 30-degree sleeping bags.back to menu ↑
Do I need a 30-degree backpacking sleeping bag?
First of all, you must understand what conditions you are likely to face in your destinations. Since every inch and, most importantly, every ounce matters when you pack for a hiking trip, there’s always an inevitable dilemma of weight versus warmth. Our goal here is to keep the sleeping bag as light as possible, but not at the cost of catching a cold. As a rule of thumb, you should always pack warmer than you expect to sleep.
Speaking about sleeping bags, “30 degrees” means that they are rated to be used at 30 degrees Fahrenheit. This is to be distinguished from 30 degrees below models, which are meant to withstand more extreme cold and might prove too hot for above-zero temperatures. The term usually refers to the so-called comfort temperature, i.e., the temperature at which an average sleeper is likely to feel nice and warm without additional blankets, etc. If you are a cold sleeper, you’ll probably appreciate the toasty feel offered by 30 degree bags at around 50 degrees.back to menu ↑
What to look for when buying a 30 degree backpacking sleeping bag?
As I have already mentioned, weight and warmth are key. These parameters are tightly related to each other, too.
What makes one 30 degree sleeping bag lightweight and another heavy is primarily the insulation. The term refers to the filling material that serves to keep you warm in your sleep, usually falling in one of two categories — down or synthetic fiber. Down is the bottom layer of fine feathers underlying the tough external plumage of birds such as ducks and geese. 30 degree down sleeping bags are generally warmer yet heavier and more heavily priced than their synthetic counterparts. Some people turn to synthetic insulation because it keeps its properties when wet (in sleeping bags, though, it’s usually prevented by the outer lining) and is hypoallergenic.
Lining matters, too. Choose materials that are resistant to wear and won’t leave you exposed to the wind. Water-proofness or at least water-resistance is another essential parameter.
Finally, there’s the form factor. Mummy bags can feel blissfully warm but give you little space to toss and turn, while conventional rectangular models are roomier yet lack that snug hood to hide your face. Combinations of the two are relatively rare but tend to perform very well at around 30 degrees.
Possible bells and whistles include the ability to zip your bag together with another and right-side zipper options for those whose dominant hand is left.
Last but not least, you should always choose a fitting size no matter what bag configuration and material you opt for.back to menu ↑
Sleep Tight on a Cool Night
30 degree down sleeping bags are part and parcel of an outdoor enthusiast’s inventory during the (moderately) cold season. Choose a classic mummy-shaped model like the Shavano by Hyke & Byke to stay as warm as possible in any weather, or opt for a less restrictive rectangular one if freedom of movement is a priority. Whichever you prefer, be sure to invest in the perfect weight-to-warmth ratio.
Do you have any experience with cold-weather sleeping bags? If yes, what seems to be the biggest challenge? Please share in the Comments section, so other users know what aspects to pay close attention to when planning their next outing!
Last update on 2021-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API