Best Camping Stove Backpacking: First Step to Professional Hiking
I like to go camping safely, and my purpose is to help you get ready for professional camping and hiking and be aware of any situations that may occur. Hiking is not only about joyful walks but also about the obstacles that happen on the way.
People often do not think about thorough preparation for hiking or camping and choose items that turn out useless on the road. I suggest you make careful choices when it comes to things that are the first necessity for hiking. One of them being the best backpacking camp stove.
Hiking is an active walk in the mountains, and a portable stove may be needed less often than in camping with tents. Backpacking stoves may differ by their functionality, therefore, you should pay attention to every detail when choosing a stove exclusively for camping/hiking.
If you plan to combine these two types of activities, I advise you to choose the simplest stove to use. Camping stoves for backpacking are intended for use in any weather conditions. With it, you can cook, reheat food and make tea. I have selected 9 best models, reviewed them, and made the backpacking stove comparison. Every stove has slightly different purposes, so you can choose the one that suits your requirements.
Read the Reviews of TOP 9: Make Your Choice of the Best Camping Stove Backpacking
When choosing the best backpacking stove, you certainly should pay attention to such characteristics as energy-efficiency, fuel consumption, weight, continuous operation time, type of connection, as well as a range of additional functions. I will review the TOP 9 models and consider their main characteristics. Among them, weight, fuel type and its consumption, ease of use, as well as cooking and reheating time.
MSR PocketRocket 2: Ultralight, Quick, Travel and Backpacking Stove
It boils a 1-liter of liquid in just 3.5 minutes, which saves your time efficiently. When designing pot supports of the stove, the manufacturer reduced its pack size to create a tiny piece of high-performance equipment.
The improved pot supports of the PocketRocket 2 are stamped out of the durable stainless steel. They are intended for a wide range of pot sizes with greater stability. The pot supports also offer a grip for cooking the most delicious meals wherever you are.
This camping stove is adjusted for the windy weather thanks to the setup wind clip windscreen on the burner head. Wind can blow out one or even two sectors, and the stove will remain lit, minimizing wasted fuel. Precision flame adjustment allows you to go from torch down to simmer.
You don’t have to preheat and pressurize the stove beforehand because it works instantly. Being incredibly easy to use, this compact camping stove is an ideal choice for first-time buyers. The fuel for MSR stove is isobutane-propane, which you can find in most shops across the country.
- Ultralight (2.6 oz) and compact (2x2x3 in) folding canister stove for minimalist adventures, backpacking, hiking, trekking, camping, and global travel
- Boils one liter of water in just 3.5 minutes and flame easily adjusts from a simmer to a rolling boil for gourmet cooking in the outdoors
- Fueled by high-performance isobutane-propane fuel canister (not included); self-sealing threaded canister fuel is available in most countries
- Easy to setup and operate—no priming, preheating, or pressurizing is required; serrated pot-supports accommodate a wide range of pot sizes and styles
- Lightweight protective case included; stove weighs 2.6 oz (4.2 oz with case), measures 4.8x4.8x3.6 inches open, collapses to 2x2x3 inches
- Boils for 3.5 minutes;
- High-performance fuel canister;
- Easy to operate;
- Includes protective case.
- Package doesn’t include fuel.
Solo Stove Lite: Portable Camping, Hiking and Survival Stove
The air venting system of this stove is arranged smartly: thanks to the holes at the bottom of the device, the air flows through the body of the stove and feeds the fire. Due to this convenient system, you don’t have to worry about the fire ceasing.
Solo stove works with windy conditions and snow. The material of the stove is durable stainless steel. There’s a fast boil feature, which means the time needed for 32 fl oz of water to boil is 8-10 minutes for. It is an important feature to note if you consider making several stops for rest on your hiking trip.
The weight of this backpacking wood stove is only 9 oz which is great for carrying this device everywhere you want. A great companion for this stove is the Solo Stove Pot 900. Solo stove Lite is intended to be used by beginner backpackers, survivalists, and campers. This is a universal nature-friendly device that will make your hiking journey joyful and carefree.
- GEAR OF THE YEAR WINNER
- PATENTED DESIGN - LESS SMOKE. The patented design features a unique double wall that creates ultra-clean gasification and a secondary combustion. This allows fuel to burn more completely and with less smoke.
- FUEL IS FREE. No more spending money on white gas or expensive liquid canister fuel
- LIGHTWEIGHT & FAST BOIL TIME. Boils water in 8-10 mines (34 flu oz. water). 4.25" Diameter, 3.8"/5.7” tall (packed/assembled). Solo Stove weighs only 9 oz. Made of premium stainless steel and chrome wire. Nylon stuff sack included.
- COMPACT SPACE SAVING DESIGN. The compact Solo Stove design nests inside the companion Solo Stove Pot 900 (not included) leaving you with more room in your backpack.
- Compact size;
- Works with three and more types of fuel;
- Nature friendly;
- Durable construction.
- Boil takes a little bit more time;
- May seem heavy.
Jetboil MiniMo Camping Stove: Suits Any Type of Adventure
MiniMo is perfect for those who are traveling somewhere in windy or stormy places. The thermal regulator allows the stove to perform well in hot or cold temperatures.
The Jetboil MiniMo obtains a simmer function to cook some great meals. It also has the integrated igniter so you don’t have to bother about lighter anymore. The wide cup comes with the package and is well suitable for fast cooking food in or boiling water.
On the bottom of this portable hiking stove, you’ve got the Jetboil’s flux ring technology which allows great heat distribution throughout the whole aluminum cup.
It allows the quick boil time for up to 2 minutes. The nice built-in windscreen allows the stove to perform well even in bad weather conditions such as wind, storm, or snow. The Jetboil MiniMo backpacking cook stove is perfect for any adventure, from an Alpine expedition to a small weekend trip.
- Powered by FluxRing technology, the MiniMo camping and backpacking stove cooking system, in Adventure, reaches a rolling boil in just over two minutes with half the fuel consumption of traditional systems.
- Jetboil's proprietary regulator technology offers incremental heat adjustments from light simmer to full boil, perfect for sautéing greens, simmering sauces, and more.
- Metal handles and a redesigned FluxRing cooking cup—optimized for a low spoon angle—make the MiniMo the perfect vessel for personal cooking and eating right out of the cup.
- Start heating instantly with the convenient, reliable pushbutton igniter; save pack space with the clever sideways burner storage design.
- Includes fuel canister stabilizer; easy to pack and carry at only 14.6 ounces. One-year limited warranty.
- 2 minutes boiling time up to;
- Has a fuel regulator;
- Ultimate cooking;
- Suits any type of adventure.
- A little bit expensive.
Soto WindMaster With Micro Regulator: Ultra Lightweight and Shock-Resistant
The micro regulator gives a nice consistent flame. Soto WindMaster has an igniter to automatically start the stove, so you wouldn’t bother yourself with lighter or matches.
What I consider nice about this best camp stove backpacking is two different pot supports included in the package. One of them is Tri-Flex three-prong pot support which is designed for smaller ultralight pots. One more is the four flex pot support for traveling with a lot of people as it is great for cooking large amounts of food at once. This stove is incredibly convenient for family hiking trips as well as for traveling by yourself.
The Soto stove is shock-resistant so you don’t have to worry about its safety as much, and put it in any place you prefer. The boiling time takes less than 2.5 minutes for 2 cups of water. The Soto WindMaster takes the minimum time to boil and cook and this is perfect for the hiking trips.
- 4 Flex Support for large pots
- Boil 2 cups of water in under 2 1/2 minutes in strong winds and gusty weather.
- Continuous output under colder weather and shock resistant
- Dimensions When in Use: 5.9 x 5.9 x 3.2 inch (15.0 x 15.0 x 8.0 cm) Weight: 5.0 oz (160g), Dimensions When Stowed: 1.34 x 1.8 x 2.5 inch (3.4 x 4.62 x 6.37 cm)
- DOES NOT INCLUDE FUEL CANISTER. FUEL CANISTER SOLD SEPARATELY.
- Works in any weather conditions;
- Compact size;
- Suitable for large hiking groups.
- Doesn’t include fuel canister
MSR WindBurner Personal Stove System: Fast Cookware Solution
In such case, the canister stand will go pretty easily right onto the fuel canister and provide a nice wide base. Besides, the WindBurner has a wide radiant burner that allows the maximum heat exchange. The cool integrated windscreen is going to block all the nasty winds and even extremely cold temperatures from getting in and potentially harming the flame.
On the bottom of the MRS stove, you can notice the airports which will allow you to get the necessary oxygen for starting the flame and keeping it burning. A nice nozzle regulates the fuel consumption to ensure its minimum use. Thanks to this feature, you don’t have to carry a lot of fuel with you. It does have a built-in pressure regulator which allows the fuel canister to perform well in all climates. At the bottom of the cup, there is a nice integrated heat exchange ring to heat the water quickly. On the inside, the cup has a few measuring lines so you can see exactly how much water you have got inside. The MSR WindMaster folding camping stove is designed for fast cooking in extreme weather conditions and suits any level camper.
- Integrated System: Compact, all-in-one stove and cookware solution features a secure-locking pot/personal eat-and-drink mug with cozy
- Maximum Efficiency: Radiant burner and heat exchanger deliver faster boil times and more fuel efficiency than conventional stoves that use convective heat only
- Windproof Performance: 100% primary air combustion, enclosed design & internal pressure regulator work together to make stove virtually impervious to outside conditions
- Compact Design: Conveniently packs the stove burner, 4 Ounce (110g) IsoPro fuel canister (sold separately), and folding canister stand inside the 1.0-Liter Pot. Extra full-sized bowl snaps onto the outside
- Modular Versatility: Customizable system works with optional cookware accessories, including the MSR WindBurner accessory pots, MSR WindBurner Skillet, hanging kit and coffee press
- All-in-one stove and cookware solution;
- Wind protection;
- Wide range of functions;
- Fast boiling time;
- Fuel efficient.
- IsoPro fuel canister sold separately;
- A little bit expensive compared to others.
Jetboil Flash JavaKit Camping Stove Cooking System: Streamlined and Super Fast
The cooking cup itself is a 1-liter aluminum cup, and it has jetboil flux ring technology built into the bottom. This ring distributes a ton of heat evenly around the outside of the cup, and it drastically reduces the boiling time.
The cup is made of neoprene to help keep your hands protected when you’re picking up boiling liquids or hot meals. A nice handle attached to the outside of the cup is thermochromic.
Whenever the liquid inside changes the temperature, the color indicator will lit up. The stove unit itself is made from aluminum and therefore lightweight. It’s also been trimmed down.
The Jetboil Flash JavaKit has a convenient igniter which eases the process and makes it quick. The canister stand creates a perfect base for the uneven surfaces to keep your liquids and food inside the cup as safe as possible.
- Optimized for efficiency, the Jetboil Flash camping and backpacking stove, in Ecto Green, boils water in a lightning-quick 100 seconds, making it the fastest Jetboil ever.
- Jetboil's 1-liter FluxRing cooking cup with insulating cozy makes boiling water—and keeping it warm—a breeze, making the Jetboil Flash personal cooking system the ultimate camping stove for preparing coffee, soup, or dehydrated meals on the trail.
- The kit's ultra-stowable newly redesigned Silicone French Coffee Press stores perfectly inside the cooking vessel, so you can make French press coffee without hauling extra gear.
- Start heating instantly with the convenient, reliable, pushbutton igniter, and verify that the water's ready with the thermochromatic color-change heat indicator.
- Bottom cup doubles as a measuring cup and a bowl; easy to pack and carry at only 13. 1 ounces. One-year limited warranty.
- Boils liquids in 1,5 minutes;
- Has 1-liter cooking cup;
- Starts heating instantly;
- Suits any kind of adventure;
- Quick to set-up.
- No fuel regulator
Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove: Stainless Wood Burning and Portable Device
The compact design and 14.2 oz lightweight allows you to take it anywhere and be sure that you will not remain hungry during your joyful hiking time. The stability provided by the 3 arms supports the pot system. You can place the heavy pot on it, and Ohuhu camping stove will easily deal with that.
Everything you need to start cooking is to easily set the stove up according to the instructions, place the wood inside the heating part and enjoy the rest of the evening.
The multifunctional feature of this portable stove is that you can use it as a barbecue and grill device. It will entertain your gastronomic life on a hiking trip, and you will be able to enjoy delicious food in any climate.
- Sturdy Stainless Steel: Crafted with high quality stainless steel, this portable camping stove will steadily burn bright, whatever heavy weight or high heat comes its way
- Stable And Safe: Geared with a 3-arm base support system, even the grassiest fields will be your personal cooking countertop, stable even in windy conditions
- Fuelled By Nature: Mother Nature presents the best fuel catalogue, with the abundance of dried twigs, leaves, pinecones and wood as nature’s perfect kindling
- Compact & Lightweight: Easily collapsible and lightweight, this camping stove comes with its own mesh carry bag so you can sling it along and serve up a warm piping meal wherever you’ve set up camp
- Environmentally Friendly: With no fuel canisters or alcohol needed, we’ll be leaving no chemical emissions behind. Treating the earth with extra good care, without any of the hassle
- Durable stainless steel;
- Easy to set up and pack up;
- Compact design;
- Comes with grill grid.
- To add wood, you have to remove the pot.
Coleman Peak 1 Butane/Propane Stove: Perfect Lightweight Heat Technology
If you are planning to go to the mountains or the forest in the cold period, you better think about the stove like Coleman Peak 1. The boiling time is a maximum of 3 minutes for the 1-liter of water.
The compact size and versatile design allow you to easily set up and pack up the stove in seconds when you need to. If you like to make a lot of stops during your hiking trip, this multi-fuel backpacking stove will serve you as soon as you need it. The entire stove weight is only 6.7 oz, and this is one of the most lightweight stoves that you can find.
- Perfect flow technology provides consistent performance, even in extreme conditions
- Perfect heat technology for more efficient cooking with less fuel
- Powerful burner boils 1 litre of water in 3.25 min (10,000 total btu's of cooking power)
- Lightweight at only 6.7 ounce (189.9 gram) for easy carrying; Fits a 6 inch Pan
- 3 year limited warranty
- Suitable for extreme weather conditions;
- 3-year warranty.
- Only butane/propane fuel.
Etekcity Ultralight Portable Backpacking Stove: Compatible and Durable
You will be impressed by the weight and size of this device when you get it, and you can certainly place it anywhere in your backpack.
The fuel canisters consist of mixed butane/propane and can be bought in almost any shop. The Etekcity has a serrated tray holder for the stable fixation of the pots. It creates a nice base to keep up all the liquids and food that you have inside the cup. High-combustion efficiency is very important if you cannot take a lot of fuel with you.
The windproof screen helps in the condensation flame process consequently utilizes the rate of combustion efficiency. If you are a beginner, this stove has great simple functionality. It is designed in such a way that there’s no risk of fuel spills and no priming required.
- Durable material: made of aluminum alloy and stainless steel which can stand high temperature and weight
- Compact and collapsible: portable design (with small dimensions: 1. 81"X 2. 36" X 3. 15") is perfect for ultralight camping and backpacking. Fit for pots or pans with diameter up to 7". Come with carrying case for enhanced portability
- Broad compatibility: Compatible with any 7/16 thread single butane/butane-propane mixed Fuel canisters (EN 417)
- Flame control: Adjustable control valve for fast maximum heat output all the way down to a simmer quickly and efficiently
- Leave no trace: adhere to “leave no trace” principles set forth by the US forest Service, bureau of land management, and national park service. Burns clean, with no debris or smooth left behind. 1 year
- Durable stainless steel material;
- Multifunctional use;
- High combustion efficiency;
- Tenderfoot tested.
- Needs a separate adapter to run the stove.
The Buyer’s Guide
Nowadays the market offers a wide range of various models of backpacking camp stoves, so you can choose the one that suits you. However, not all of the offered models are as good as their ads say. Therefore, you should know the main characteristics of choosing the best hiking stove. I recommend following the next criteria:
The size of the camping stove should be one of the main points to ease its transportation and make your hiking trip joyful.
The lightweight model of the stove should be light to ease your trip. It is important to reduce the load on a hiking trip and the less your stove weighs, the easier it will be to transport it.
If you are a beginner in hiking, better choose simple equipment so you don’t have to spend a lot of time assembling the stove and folding it.
This is an important feature to save fuel so that you won’t have to carry it and always worry about its lack.
The longer the stove burns the better. If you are hiking with 3 or more people and you need to cook a lot of food at once, it would be better to choose a stove with a fuel consumption regulator.
You should be able to cook or reheat food, as well as to use the camping stove as a smokehouse. There are plenty of models that include all these features added with the ability to use the stove outdoors and indoors.
The camp stove should have a firebox for fire sparks to prevent any accidents that may harm your health or anyone around you.
Conclusion Remarks: Remember About Safety When Using the Backpacking Stove
A modern backpacking burner is a source of comfort, but it’s also an element that requires increased attention. Most models are simple, intuitive to operate, and safe, but you should not forget about basic safety precautions so that your trip would only bring joy and positive emotions.
Before the first use, it is necessary to study the instructions in detail, since every model in my best stove for backpacking top differs from others in the performed functions and the elements used for work. You can take notes on which models are suitable for which conditions so as not to be mistaken. I hope that my review of 9 best backpacking stove models will help you to make a choice as soon as possible and go on a long-awaited hiking trip.
If you have any questions about camping stoves and camping in general, I will be happy to answer them! Also, if you used one of the described backpacking stove reviews, share your experience with me and other readers.
Last update on 2021-04-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API