For the best hiking experience, you should not carry bulky luggage. One of the most effective ways of reducing weight is to take a bivy sack instead of a tent. If you are heading out to that overnight hiking trip, consider purchasing precisely this product.
Are you inexperienced when it comes to the brands available? I am here to provide all the information you need. As a 30+ years old hiking enthusiast, I have used many bivy sacks. I know everything about the challenges of hiking, so let me share my experience. As such, I can give reliable information on the brands you can consider.
Top Bivy Sacks to Purchase: Comprehensive Review
Do you want to purchase the best outdoor bivy sack? Here is a description of the brands, their pros, cons, and other crucial details you need.
Flyzy a Tower Ultralight Backpacking Tent – The Best Lightweight Bivy Sack
The backpacking tent only weighs 2.9lbs. That means you can carry it easily as you go to the camping locations. Its portability is enhanced by the fact that you can fold it into a small size. The brand is sold together with a compact packing bag that makes it easier for you to carry it. Therefore, your camping experience does not have to be a struggle.
The product is made of high-quality nylon material. It is waterproof, which protects you from rain. The tape enhances guard from severe weather. Is the level of ventilation your concern? The manufactures take care of this crucial point. There is a mesh air inlet, a window to enhance ventilation, and a door that improves breathability while using the brand. Apart from inhaling the fresh air, you also have protection from harassment by insects such as mosquitoes.
You can set up the bivy fast. With the light aluminum peg and a shock-cord that is collapsible, you only need 4 minutes or less to assemble the brand. The design is also comfortable.
The brand is ideal for those who like going for adventures on their own. It ensures you do not walk around with bulky materials. The activities that are possible for the use of this bivy include cycling, mountain climbing, hiking, and general camping. You are always sure of being warm, dry, and comfortable.
- ULTRALIGHT & COMPACT - It only weight 2.9lb, Packs down small and comes with an ultra-compact compression bags so you can carry it easily in backpacking camping trips or take it to anywhere. It makes camping easier and more enjoyable.
- WATERPROOF - High quality waterproof material includes PU4000mm 20D Nylon (Silicone- coated). Treated with tape seam technology, this tent can protect you in all severe weather.
- VENTILATED - Mesh inlet design, ventilation window and doors provide good breathability, that does not prevent you from breathing fresh air. Preventing harassment of mosquitoes and insects.
- FAST & EASY SETUP - Using the three lightweight aluminum pegs and collapsible shock-cord, it takes less than 5 minutes to set up the tent. Its simple, compact design allows for assembly in low-light situations.
- Design for solo adventurers who seek a fully enclosed shelter without the burden of unwanted bulk or slow assembly, it is an ideal choice for backpackers, cyclists, paddlers or climbers. Perfect for hiking climbing in all seasons, will keep you warm and dry.
- Easy to set up;
- Can be used in different weather conditions.
- Relatively expensive.
Tennier Woodland Camouflage Waterproof Bivy Cover
Tall people may find other bivy sacks a bit uncomfortable. Some parts of the body may hang outside, which exposes you to the chilling camping conditions. In worse cases, you may even fall ill. Fortunately, this brand saves you from all that. All your body parts are under the protection, considering that the brand is 84” long.
Your shoulders have an essential area of 35” for comfort. The feet are catered by a width of 23 inches. That means you have enough space to rest. Additionally, you can fit your sleeping bag inside this bivy. Tennier Woodland bivy is compactly designed such that you can easily roll and fit it into the backpack you intend to use while carrying it.
Since this is the bivy that is preferred by the US military, you have the guarantee that you are dealing with a qualitative product. It is also durable because of the reliable material that is used to make it. Moreover, the Gore-Tex membrane used to make it ensures it is waterproof.
- NSN: 8465-01-416-8517
- Woodland Camouflage
- Made in the USA
- Gives good value;
- Has enough space and provides comfort;
- Offers less convenience when packing.
Winterial Single Person Personal Bivy Tent
Winterial bivy is what to go for if you like a brand that is lightweight and easy to carry. It is designed to accommodate one person. With a weight of about 2 pounds, it suits people who are searching for something portable and still versatile. Moreover, the brand is easy to set up as you purchase it, accompanied by ropes. When assembled correctly, it is firm and offers security to the users.
What conditions are ideal for the use of the brand? It is suitable for a period when there is no rain, or just light showers are expected. The winds should also not be strong. It has a roof mesh, which allows for good ventilation. In addition to the tent, you also get 3 ropes and 14 stakes.
Its internal area is spacious and offers comfort, even for those who are more than 6 feet tall. You can easily roll inside it and accommodate your pack at night. Although it is designed for one person, some use it together with their partners because of the large space.
Moreover, the bivy is affordable. Its versatility means that you can use it in both hot and cold weather. That means it is convenient.
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Single Person Tent with Two Hoop Easy To Assemble Bivy Tent
- PERFECT FOR HIKING AND BACKPACKING: Bivy Tent Sleeps One Person take it with you on any trip
- 3 SEASON TENT: Ventalated Roof Mesh With a Full Coverage Rain Fly for Colder/Rainy Weather
- LIGHT WEIGHT: Packed weight: 3 pounds. Packed Size: 18" x 4.5" x 4"
- ACCESS: Large Zippered door for easy access. Includes 3 bundles of rope and 14 Heavy Duty Stakes To Firmly Secure
- It can be assembled easily;
- Good ventilation because of the roof mesh;
- Secure because of the stakes and many ropes;
- Light in weight and easily portable.
- Not ideal for many people;
- Cannot accommodate people in windy conditions.
Snugpak the Ionosphere 1 Man Dome Tent 94″ x 39″ x 28″ Nylon
The dome tent is designed for one person. However, its space can accommodate more. The inner parts of the brand are made of nylon combined with polyester mesh. As a result, the ventilation in the bivy is perfect. Its outer layer is composed of polyester together with polyurethane coating. The combination is good for waterproof qualities.
What are the dimensions of this brand? It is 94”x39”x28”. That means it suits tall people. The weight of the brand is approximately 3.5 pounds. That is light enough for easy carriage. It is also purchased with a kit for repair. Therefore, there is no need to look for extra tools since it is possible to repair it while you are on the move.
Its color camouflages depending on the environment of use. You have the option of selecting colors that suit you. There is the olive green as well as the coyote tan.
Setting up the bivy is easy as it comes with stakes. You only need a few minutes to make it ready. Therefore, you do not strain in a bid to use it. That is an advantage to the buyer of the product.
- Inner tent dimensions are 94 inches long, 35 inches wide, and 28 inches tall; built to accommodate 1 person and their gear, features tape sealed seams
- Lightweight and compact pack size is 19 inches long by 5.5 inches wide; trail weight is 2.64 pounds, pack weight is 3.34 pounds
- Equipped with DAC Featherlite NSL anodized aluminum poles with press fit connectors; features No-See-Um mesh mosquito net for warmer climates
- Flysheet is 210t polyester RipStop with 5000 millimeter waterproof and windproof polyurethane coating; the 2 pole system keeps condensation buildup to a minimum
- A basic repair kit is included; contains metal pole repair sleeve, tent guide rope tensioner, spare cord, elastic loop, patch materials, and a storage bag
- Has much space for the user;
- Light in weight;
- Durable as it is made of high-quality materials;
- Is stable when properly set up and can withstand strong winds.
- Thin pegs make it unsuitable occasionally.
GEERTOP Ultralight Compact Single 1 Person Waterproof Bivy II Tent
The ultralight bivy is designed to be used by one person. With a weight of less than 4lbs, the brand is easy to carry around as you move from one camping location to another. The dimensions of 84” x 39” x 36” make the space comfortable for the user. Moreover, its packing size is only 17″ x 4″ x 4″ making it convenient as you can save the available packing space. Its nature makes it appropriate for those who like going for fishing expeditions, military training activities, hiking as well as simple camping.
It is made of a thick layer, making it hard for water to get inside it in the periods of rainstorms. That makes it a secure brand for the clients. Its waterproof qualities are enhanced by the double stitch and the seal that is made using a high-quality tape. For ventilation, it has two windows and a door. The airflow in the bivy is, therefore, perfect. You can open the door comfortably from inside and outside the bivy.
Setting up the bivy is very easy. That is facilitated by its two-frame design. You do not need special tools to set it up. Therefore, it is suitable even for the campers who are less experienced with tents. Additionally, the polyester fabrics make it a durable brand.
- 【Ultralight Backpacking Tent】Weigh about 2.8 lb for entire kit, aluminum poles, pack into a compact size 19 x 5 x 5 inch, easy to put the tent on backpack, good for 1 person backpacking travel,camping.
- 【Waterproof Tent for 1 Person 】Up to PU5000 MM waterproof grade with the outer tent fly and the tent floor is PU8000 MM, fully seam taped and double stitching, against heavy rainstorms well, windows on the top strengthened the air flow.
- 【Easy to Set up】Two-pole frame system with shock-corded aluminum poles allows for fast easy set up and dismantle. Just need 2 min to install, save your time. With the mesh door, allowing the air to circulate, breathable & ventiation.
- 【Large 1 Room Space】The Tent measures 7 ft 7 in x 2 ft 6 in with a height of 24 inch,suitable for single man, enough room space to turn over, eating or reading. More comfortable and give a wonder sleeping camping experience for you.
- 【3 Season Single Tent】A lightweight backpacking tent perfect for camping, hiking, climbing, self-driving tour, fishing and other outdoor activities in 3 seasons.
- Easy to set up and can be used by inexperienced campers;
- Durable because of the high-quality materials used to make it;
- Waterproof and secure for the users;
- Easily portable;
- A bit heavy compared to the other brands.
Chinook Summit Bivy Bag – One of the Best Outdoor Bivy Sack
If you are searching for an advanced bivy bag, this is the brand to go for. It is made of aluminum poles. What are the other materials used to make it? The top is made of a fabric that is breathable as well as waterproof. Its bottom is composed of ripstop nylon, which is also waterproof. Additionally, it has a foot box with a lot of space together with a contoured hood.
With a weight of 32 ounces, it is easy to carry. You also have the option of choosing a blue or olive color of the brand, depending on your preference. Both colors look attractive. Its price should also not be a worry to you since it is very affordable. However, it may not be the cheapest brand available.
When it comes to setting up the brand, you do not strain. The set-up procedure is simple and may only take you 2 minutes or less. That means you enjoy convenience when using this brand of bivy bag.
Another plus, when you purchase this brand is its durability. Because of the strong materials used to make it, you can use it for many trips. In the long run, you end up saving time and money. Generally, it is a brand that comes with convenience, less expenditure, and more comfort.
- Waterproof/breathable fabric top and waterproof ripstop nylon bottom fabric
- Factory-taped seams are completely waterproof
- Facial ventilation system for better breathability
- Contured hood and comfortable roomy footbox
- Includes a stuff sack
- You can set it up quickly;
- The mesh panels enable comfortable breathability;
- Effective in offering wind protection;
- It is comfortable.
- You may experience water pooling;
- May be uncomfortable if improperly set up.
Chinook Bivy Bag (Base Bivy) – Can Be Your Best Bivy Sack
The brand (Chinook) has become familiar to people in the recent past. The manufacturer of this brand has won the trust of the clients since they produce high-quality products. When you need a brand that assures you of safety, security, and warmth as you sleep through the night, this is what you should purchase. The brands that are designed for four people are usually more expensive compared to those meant for one person because of space.
Users find this brand long-lasting and versatile. The material used to make it is nylon of heavy-duty. Therefore, it is very strong. It is waterproof because of the material that is used to make it.
The manufacturers made this product with a clear objective in mind. First, it is affordable. That means you do not strain financially in a bid to purchase it. The brand is also waterproof, which means you are protected from rain when inside the bivy. It only weighs 1lb making it portable.
- Crafted from the highest quality material ensuring quality and durability
- Perfect for indoor and outdoor use
- Made in the U. S. A.
- Easy to carry;
- Cannot be used by many people at the same time.
Rhino Valley Camping Tent
If you have been searching for a strong camping tent, this is the best option for you. It has aluminum composed with a brass buckle, which makes it stable as well as tough. Security and stability of the bivy are enhanced by the use of tent peg and the strong roles issued when you purchase the brand. Therefore, it is stable even in stormy conditions.
It has dimensions of 15.7 x 9.8 x 4 and is sold with good packing. The weight of 45.8 oz makes it a light bivy to carry for the different camping activities. Therefore, you are assured of convenience when using it.
The bivy is usable in different environments. For instance, it is made of a waterproof material that keeps you safe from being wet on the days of heavy rains. Therefore, you are always safe when using this product. You are also protected from the sunny conditions by the sunscreen top.
Setting up this tent is also easy. You do not need any special skills to assemble or disassemble it. You can do that in a few minutes. That means you enjoy convenience with the product.
What is the level of breathability when using this product? It has a high-density gauze and cloth, which offers excellent breathability. Staying inside the bivy is comfortable as you feel like you are in a good room.
- GREAT BREATHABILITY - Embossed cloth and high density gauze net cover with great breathability make you stay in a roomy and comfortable place.
- WEATHER PROTECTION - With waterproof material, it stops you from getting wet when it rains heavily. It can also be a sunscreen to shade strong sunshine.
- EASY INSTALLATION - Easy set up, quick assembling/disassembling just by oneself. It will pop up to a very roomy one automatically when tossing it.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE - Package Dimension: 15.7 x 9.8 x 4 (Comes with a carrying bag). Weighs only 45.8 oz. This camping tent is lightweight and portable enough for outdoor activities. Suitable for one person.
- STRONG CONSTRUCTION - Premium aluminum poles and brass buckle contribute to a stable and tough tent. The matching use of tent peg and tent ropes also makes it stormproof and of great stability.
- Comfortable for the user because it is spacious;
- Offers great breathability;
- Easy to set up.
- You may not sit upright when inside.
The Important Aspects to Know About Bivy Sacks
If you intend to have a night experience outdoors, a bivy sack becomes necessary. The people who find these products useful include the mountain climbers, those who love hiking, and campers, among others. Bivy bags make packing easy as you do not deal with huge luggage as you move. Before you purchase the best bivy sack for backpacking, there are many things you need to know.
What Is a Bivy Sack And Why Is It Used?
The full name of bivy sack is bivouac sack. It is known as a personal sack that is made of waterproof material that is used as a shelter. The product was previously used by people on a climbing expedition who would spend several days outdoors. It is a convenient alternative to carrying a large tent. The people who currently use them include the mountaineers, frequent campers, and hikers, among others.
What’s The Difference Between a Tent and a Bivy?
While tents can also be used by the campers, they are usually a bit bulky. Therefore, it is hard to walk around while carrying a tent. A bivy is more convenient for outdoor experiences since you can easily take it. Bivy sacks are of different types. Some are designed like tents. You are the one to determine the type of fabric that suits you.
When you purchase the best bivy sack, you enjoy many advantages. First, most of them weigh 1kg or less. That means they are easy to pack and carry to the location of use. Secondly, they are ideal for unfavorable climates such as cold periods. They are made with a few air spaces, which make them heat faster. Therefore, it is safe to say that sacks are safer and warmer than tents. Additionally, the bags occupy minimal spaces. You can, therefore, set them up in beautiful locations where tents cannot fit.
The ease of using bivy sacks also makes them ideal. For instance, you only need a few minutes to set them up, unlike the tents, which may take you a while. As a result, the amount of effort in planning the camp is reduced.
Can You Suffocate in a Bivy Sack?
The main function of a bivy sack is the addition of the waterproof material, which is meant to protect you as you sleep. Because of the insulation, winds, and cold cannot interfere with you as you sleep. The bivy sack is designed with an opening for your eyes as well as another for breathing. That ensures you do not suffocate. Modern products are made with waterproof and breathable fabrics like Gore-Tex, which enables you to breathe without opening.
There are factors you need to consider to get the best experience from these products:
- Materials used to make it
At the moment, dynamic content is Gore-Tex. Bivy sacks made of that material have excellent breathability. E-vent material is also good.
The sacks come in different designs. One of the most crucial aspects that you should look at is ventilation. Select one that allows for constant circulation of air.
- Perfect fit
Although the bivy sacks are designed to accommodate people of all sizes, it is advisable to assess the dimensions of the product before purchase. That way, you can choose the perfect one for you.
The Concluding Thoughts
Traveling is one of the best ways to enrich yourself, relax, and restore energy. Thinking about your destination, you should not forget about the safety and comfort of your trip. That is why I highly recommend you to consider such a product as the bivy sacks. Today you can find various brands of such equipment. To help you make a wise choice, I offer you my review of top sacks that can guarantee you comfort and protection.
All the products described above are waterproof. However, they vary in terms of dimensions. As you choose what to purchase, it is crucial to assess all the characteristics of the products. That way, you can make an informed choice. Have you used any of the brands above? What was your experience? How can you rate these brands compared to using a tent?