As the weather gets warmer, many of us start planning our camping trips.
When you’re planning a camping trip, one of the first things you need to think about is how you’re going to power all your electronic devices.
Sure, you could just leave them at home, but then you’d miss out on all the fun of posting pictures of your camping adventure on social media. And, let’s be honest, you’re not really roughing it if you don’t have any pictures to show for it.
A camping power generator is a small, portable device that provides electricity for camping trips. It is usually powered by a gas engine and can be used to power small appliances, lights, and other electronic devices.
There are different types of generators from classic gasoline and diesel to solar generators for camping.
But with so many generators on the market, how do you know which one is right for you? In this camping generator review, we will tell you how to choose the best generator for camping, without overpaying for unnecessary functions.
7 Best Generator for Travel: Reviewed
- Jackery Explorer 240 – Top Pick
- BLUETTI AC200MAX – Premium Choice
- Takki 83Wh Portable Power Station – Best Price
- MARBERO M82 Power Station
- Westinghouse iGen160s
- Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 500
1. Jackery Explorer 240
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: The Jackery Explorer 240 portable power station has been featured as the "Best Portable Power Station for use in the outdoors" by Digital Trends. A classic choice for your pick.
The Jackery Explorer 240 is a great option for those who need to keep their CPAP machines running while camping. This portable power station has a 240-watt-hour lithium-ion battery pack, making it able to power most small devices for hours on end. It also has a pass-through charging feature, meaning you can charge your devices while the power station is plugged into an outlet. This is one of the best camp generators.
- Lightweight and portable;
- Easy to use;
- Solar-powered recharging option
- Some customers have experienced issues with the unit automatically shutting off
2. BLUETTI AC200MAX
- [Powerful Beast] - AC200MAX power station comes with amazing 2048Wh LFP cells and a 2200W inverter, making it a safe and reliable power center on the way or off-the-grid.
This makes it a safe and reliable power center on the way or off the grid. The AC200MAX is also expandable, supporting 2 BLUETTI B300s (3072Wh) for a whopping 8192Wh or 2 B230s (2048Wh) for 6144Wh. This gives you plenty of power to juice up all of your devices.
The AC200MAX also features super fast charging, taking up to 900W from solar input and 400W from the AC input. With dual charging, you can feed it up in less than 2 hours. The AC200MAX also has 16 ports for every need, including NEMA TT-30 and 12V/30A DC ports, perfect for RV dwellers. There are also plenty of USB ports, as well as a 100W PD port. The wireless chargers allow you to charge compatible devices wirelessly.
If you are looking for a portable power station that is safe, reliable, and expandable, the BLUETTI AC200MAX is a great option. With its super-fast charging and 16 ports, it is perfect for any situation.
- Touchscreen display;
- Battery life;
- Build quality
- The solar charge time is a bit longer
3. Takki 83Wh Portable Power Station
- ☼【Designed For Mobility】The multi-interface output portable power stations support fast charging function for laptop, cell phones, iPad, Switch, camera, LED light, speakers, camping fan etc. Also serves as an emergency charging station for camping supplies within 80W such as drones, CPAP machine, 12 volt refrigerator, camping air conditioner, etc. (Solar Panel Not Included)
It also has an LED flashlight with four different levels of brightness and SOS mode. The power station is charged via AC adapters, car chargers, or in direct sunlight via 12-22 volt solar panels (not included).
The Takki 83Wh Portable Power Station is a great choice for camping, overland journey, air travel, and other outdoor activities. It is also a great choice for emergency situations. The power station is easy to carry and has a solid handle. It also has heat dissipation holes that are designed on the back.
The power station also has a safe battery management system that supports overload, over-voltage, over current, over temperature, and short circuit protection during charging. This is one of the best cheap generators for camping.
- Multi-interface output;
- Fast charging;
- LED flashlight
- Solar panels are not included
4. MARBERO M82 Power Station
- 🧳PORTABLE & COMPACT: Super slim size (6.5 x 4.6 x 3.1 inches) and light weight (2.4 lbs). Portable power station with compact handle design is not only for emergency power at home, but also for camping or wherever you need power when on the go. Perfect for school students to charge phone, laptop, iPad, PSP, camera, wireless headphones, etc.
The portable power station is equipped with 88Wh (24000mAh, 3.7V) capacity, 2*QC 3.0 USB ports (18W max), 2*USB ports (5V 2.4A), 1*USB C port (PD2. 0.18W max). 1*DC port(12-16.8V / 10A, 13A max), 1*2 pole and 1* 3 pole output socket (80W running, 120W peak).
The portable power station also has a 3-level LED flashlight that can be used in different modes. The power station can be charged via an AC outlet or with a solar panel. It also has a Battery Management System (BMS) that allows for voltage control, temperature control, and more advanced safety operations.
- Very slim and lightweight;
- Comes with a number of different ports;
- Has a bright LED flashlight
- May not hold a charge as advertised
5. Westinghouse iGen160s
- VERSATILE OUTLETS CHARGE UP TO 9 DEVICES AT THE SAME TIME: Pushing 100 Rated Watts and 150 Peak Watts Through (2) 120V Household Outlets, (2) USB Ports, (1) Quick Charge USB Port, (1) USB-C Port, (3) 6mm 9-12V DC Outlets - Strong Enough to Easily Power a 36" LED TV, Box Fans, or Heated Blankets.Low voltage protection, short circuit protection, and overload protection protects the battery and connected devices to ensure peace of mind and reliability
With 155 watt-hours of lithium-ion battery capacity, it can keep a smartphone charged up to 17 times, or a drone up to 23 times. The iGen160s also features a built-in device and battery protection, so you can rest assured that your electronics are safe.
- Can power a variety of devices;
- Lightweight and portable;
- 2-year coverage
- At 3.75 lb. the iGen160s is not as light as some other portable generators on the market
- 🚗【Power Your Outdoor Life】ALLWEI portable power station (size: 9x4.7x7.8 inches, weight: 6.5 LBS), is equipped with 280Wh/78000mAh capacity, peak 600W, silent cooling fan, built-in 3-level LED light and SOS mode to satisfy your outdoor needs. LCD screen shows all power station operating status easily and timely. Perfect for emergency power supply, outdoor activities and home backup.
The clear LCD screen shows all power station operating status easily and timely. The power station is lightweight at 6.5 LBS, making it easy to carry. It also has a regulated car cigarette lighter plug and three DC ports. The USB-C port supports fast charging 60W.
There are also two USB-A ports and an LED camping light with four modes: Tent light, Explore Light, Reading Light, and SOS Emergency Rescue.
The power station can recharge itself and power up to 9 devices. It also supports charging from an AC wall outlet and car lighter plug. The ALLWEI-300WGEN has ETL certifications and an ultra-safe battery management system. Automotive-grade batteries make your outdoor adventures more wonderful.
- Can run AC while charging;
- The display can be turned off;
- The display shows how much time is left on the battery
- You can’t run the AC and the DC at the same time
7. Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 500
- LONG LASTING ENDURANCE: The Explorer 500 portable power station is built with the lithium-ion battery pack, in a safely designed frame structure to maximize, and long last the power for every single use of outdoor adventures and home use.
The Battery Management System governs each individual cell, improving the battery life cycle while being pass-through charged. The power station is built with the lithium-ion battery pack, in a safely designed frame structure to maximize, and long last the power for every single use of outdoor adventures and home use.
- Lightweight and portable;
- Enough power to run many appliances;
- Pass-through charging
- May does not have enough power for some appliances
Buyer’s Guide: Camping power generator
The best camping power generator will depend on your specific needs. If you need a generator for long-term camping, you will need to consider a different model than if you are only going to use it for a weekend trip. You don’t often have to use a high-power generator camping as it is easier to take a less powerful generator with you. Here are some things to keep in mind when shopping for a camping power generator.
One of the most important things to consider when purchasing a generator is the size. You need to make sure that it is small enough to take with you camping, but also large enough to power all of your devices. A good rule of thumb is to purchase a generator that is at least 1,000 watts.
How long do you need the generator to run? If you are only going to use it for a few hours, you don’t need one that has a long runtime. If you are going to be using it for days or weeks, you will need a generator with a longer runtime.
The basis of any generator is the conversion of some kind of energy into electricity. According to the method of obtaining this energy, electric generators can be divided into the following groups:
- getting energy while a person is moving.
Advantages and disadvantages:
- perfect for camping, cottage, or camping;
- has a low weight, making it easy to move around the site;
- easy to maintain;
- functions quietly: the noise level is about 50 decibels.
Wind-powered, solar-powered, and powered by human movement
The main advantages are:
- portability – these mini generators can easily fit even in a pocket;
- low cost;
- the simplicity of design – they can be easily repaired, the probability of failure is lower;
- do not require additional costs, since they do not need to buy fuel.
- low power – suitable for connecting low-power devices, such as charging a smartphone;
- dependence on weather conditions for solar generators.
Advantages and disadvantages:
- ideal if a constant source of electricity is needed;
- greater safety margin than a gasoline one;
- more powerful than petrol ones, which allows you to connect more appliances;
- noisy: the volume is about 80-100 decibels;
- difficulty in operating in winter, as it is problematic to start the unit at low temperatures;
One of the varieties of gasoline generator has a number of advantages:
- low noise level;
- high quality of current at the output, which allows you to connect devices sensitive to power fluctuations;
- copes with peak loads;
- automatic regulation of revolutions depending on the load, which allows saving money on refueling when connecting devices
- with low power consumption;
- electronic ignition simplifies the process of starting.
The disadvantages can be distinguished only:
- the high cost (as a rule, they cost almost twice as much as their gasoline counterparts);
- small power;
- the complexity of design, which complicates the repair.
Some generators are very loud. If you are going to be using it in an area where noise is a concern, you will need to find a generator that has a low noise level. Some generators have an Eco-Mode feature that will help to reduce the noise.
The price of the generator is important, but you also need to consider the other factors on this list. Don’t just buy the cheapest generator you can find. Make sure it has the features you need and that it is the right size for your needs.
Power Generator Camping FAQs
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
Can you run a generator in the rain?
It is necessary to study the instructions. It should describe the conditions under which your alternator can operate.
Can you run a generator overnight?
Yes, you can run a generator overnight. But you should periodically check its operation and the presence of fuel.
What size generator do I need for camping?
The size of the generator you need for camping depends on the equipment you plan to run and the power requirements of that equipment. Average generator power is 2000-3000 watts.
What’s the difference between an inverter and a generator?
The difference between inverter generators for camping and normal generator is that an inverter changes direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC), while a generator creates AC power from mechanical energy.
A camping power generator can make your camping trip more comfortable and enjoyable. It can provide you with the electricity you need to power your lights, cook your food, and charge your devices. There are a few things to consider when choosing a camping power generator.
The first thing to consider is how much power you need. If you only need to power a few lights and charge your phone, a small generator will suffice. However, if you want to run a fridge or other appliances, you’ll need a larger generator. The next thing to consider is how easy the generator is to use. Some generators have a pull-start, while others have an electric start.
If you plan on using the generator for long periods of time, an electric start will be more convenient. Finally, consider the noise level of the generator. Some generators are very quiet, while others can be quite loud. If you’re camping in a quiet area, you’ll want a generator that won’t disturb your neighbors.
I hope this article helped you choose the best portable generator for camping. If you still have questions, you can ask them in the comments.