The importance of choosing only the best knee brace for proper personal protection during every hiking spree cannot be overlooked. No, there can never be enough said about it. Hiking has got amazing health benefits and is an excellent opportunity to experience nature at its fullest as well as a fun family affair. Meet any experienced person who has been hiking from an early age, and the takeaway would be: choose only the best knee support for your hiking if you are serious about the sport.
I am Eddie, the biggest fan of hiking. I adore doing this and enjoying nature. My experience proved me that traumas, fatigue, and peaks could reduce the joy of hiking. So, I strongly recommend you to read the knee braces review below and pick a product that will suit you best.
If you are a beginner, choosing a top knee brace for hiking is just as easy as it is rewarding. You must have heard that people get injuries of different degrees when they trail hiking without a proper knee brace. In fact, hikers have sprained ankles and got serious knee injuries that lasted for months even years just from enjoying their darling sport. It doesn’t have to be like that.
You don’t have to learn this the hard way. Therefore, you don’t want to pride yourself as that tough guy who claims to observe every rule of the game but won’t take care of basic health and safety issues. Do you remember the saying: prevention is better than cure? That is exactly what happens here.
Guess you are about to make a buying decision now. However, before you purchase a knee brace, be sure to take into consideration all specifics of knee protection gear to choose the right one. This will help you greatly in buying just the right one. Do you need a long brace? Would you rather go for the short one? What about the open or closed brace? Should it be light or bulky? All these considerations are your choice to make as each product has its unique qualities.
- 🏃 Open Patella Stabilizer Design: Thickened and shock absorbing silicone to stabilize and protect your patella, ligament, meniscus, knee cartilage from injury
Top 10 Best Knee Sleeves to Choose From
- BERTER Knee Brace Open Patella Stabilizer Neoprene Knee Support — Rating by reviews 4.2 out of 5.
- Mava Sports Knee Compression Sleeve Support for Men and Women — Good Overall
- Vive Hinged Knee Brace - Open Patella Support Wrap for Women, Men — Perfect choice
- Abco Tech Patella Knee Strap - Knee Pain Relief – Good price
- POWERLIX Knee Compression Sleeve for Men & Women – The most universal
- CAMBIVO 2 Pack Knee Brace, Knee Compression Sleeve Support – More than 40,000 positive reviews
- Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Strap, Provides Full Mobility and Pain Relief for Arthritic, Weakened Knees
- UFlex Athletics Knee Compression Sleeve Support for Women and Men
- IPOW 2 Pack Thickened Pad & Wide Patella Knee Strap, Pain Relief Patellar Tendon Support
- Winzone Knee Brace by ComfyMed Premium Adjustable Compression Support Sleeve CM-KB19
I have compiled a list of the top picks tried and tested by me personally. There are different types listed, and there is no clear winner here. You should read the entire review, find out how each product functions, and decide which knee brace is best for you.
1. Winzone Knee Support – The Best Knee Support for Hiking
Every hiker can get a knee injury at some point, and you shouldn’t wait until this happens before putting on your gear. Long distance walking can cause damage to your knees over time. That’s why knee support when walking long distances is important, and you need to start taking care of it now. If you currently have a knee injury or are suffering from arthritis, then you should purchase the Winzone knee sleeve. This is the best knee brace for downhill hiking with arthritis and existing injuries that will support your knee perfectly. It’s little opening at the patella area will allow some level of movement and increased blood flow through the knee.
The material is light and breathable, so it is super comfortable to wear. So, wearing it under clothes is absolutely fine. You won’t even notice it, and it will not look weird or bulky. It will help you walk better and decrease any pain that comes from the knees. Unfortunately, it comes in only one size (although it’s adjustable) and weighs 0.6 ounces. The dimensions for this product are 8.9 x 4.7 x 1.8 inches.
If you have any problems with your knees, then this Winzone product is a good knee support for hiking. It will cover your joints from any hits while assisting in healing the already affected knee. Unfortunately, opinions from different people show that this product is always limited in stocks. I think that people do not have the same knee sizes and as such should have come in various dimensions.
- Knee Brace Support For Arthritis
- Brand: Winzone
- Material: Cotton
- Size: One Size
- Specific Uses: Hold, Patella, Pain Relief, Tendon
- Amazingly comfortable knee brace for hiking;
- Helps to alleviate pain;
- Breathable material;
- Good for machine washing;
- Rarely in stock;
- No size variety.
2. UFlex Athletics Knee Sleeve – A Flexible Knee Brace for Hiking
Hikers love to explore so many beautiful places, so climbing the mountains is the common thing for them. This put a lot of pressure on the knee, and if not properly protected, the knees problem will become more serious as you grow older. If you are the kind of hiker who loves to explore places that would strain your knees or generally like to participate in sports that will apply a lot of pressure on the knee, then you should have this sleeve in your sports bag.
It will not only protect your legs from injury but will also help ease pain in a fractured leg. Stretchy material and sturdy nature make it ideal for wearing under clothes. The scheme of its work is very easy: it supports your internal muscles and by squeezing it, releases pain and makes it bearable. Also, if you have arthritis, tendonitis, or any form of knee defects, always make sure that you have this product. Thanks to its nature, it does not slip from the skin like some would do when you sweat, it stays firm until you are ready to take it off. It weighs only 2.4 ounces and has a dimension of 3.9 × 0.4 × 2.7 inches.
I like this product because it is thin and has a good grip on the knees and thighs. The makers used a mix of spandex and latex materials to enable it to withstand strain without ripping apart or wearing out. It comes in different sizes and can be worn from morning to night without causing discomfort. It is the best product for people who are engaged in rigorous activities, and I find this type of braces the most comfortable. Unfortunately, it does not absorb sweat.
- Knee Support: With a 4-way stretch capability, our elastic knee compression sleeves offer the best knee support for women & men at every level of sports
- Brand: UFlex Athletics
- Material: Nylon
- Size: Large
- Specific Uses: Pain Relief, Fitness, Weightlifting, Hiking, Sports
- Single wrap;
- Ideal knee support for downhill hiking;
- Stretchable fabric;
- The material is discreet and thin enough to wear beneath clothes.
- Not sweat-absorbing.
3. IPOW 2 Pack Thickened Pad – A Knee Sleeve for Pain Hiking Downhill
When I fell during hiking, my knee was injured. I am sure this is something that you don’t want to experience. For every hiking, you need a very powerful brace that is sturdy enough to withstand impact when you fall. The IPOW 2 Pack Thickened Pad is that product that is thick enough to not only withstand a hit but also help to heal any joint fracture. However, people that live a less active lifestyle can use it. It will grab your knees tight and help in building muscles.
It has a strap that you can tight when it is loose or make it looser when it is too tight. It was created to suit your needs. Also, it is important to mention that it does not create knees discomfort. The product will apply the right amount of pressure uniformly throughout the legs and does not shift during physical activities. Its size is between 14-17 inches wide.
While giving recommendations for hiking knee brace, it was discovered that people were concerned about the length of this knee brace, stating that it was too short. Namely, it doesn’t cover the entire knees and can only be used for short-distance walks. Also, people complained of having to adjust this knee sleeve constantly to suit the position of their legs.
- 【Absorb Shocks & Relieve Pain 】Resilient Compression Pad in the strap snugly holds the patellar around the knee and absorbs the shocks. Reduce the pain associated with patellar tendonitis, jumper's knee, runner's knee, chondromalacia.
- Brand: IPOW
- Material: –
- Size: One Size
- Specific Uses: Patella, Arthritis,P ain Relief, Tendon, Tendonitis, Skin, Muscle
- It comes with a strap for easy adjustment;
- Tight knee grip;
- Relieves pain;
- Light-weight material.
- It exposes a major part of the knees;
- The strap can become lose.
4. Cho Pat Dual Action Knee Strap – A Knee Support Brace for Hiking
Different hikers face various knee issues and should use the proper product that can help balance the leg bones. Hurt knees need support to help speed up healing, and this is what the licensed Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Strap does. When you put on the strap brace, it will provide instant relief to your inflamed bones by putting pressure below and above. There is a little hole on the brace, and it is not there for beautiful design. It is actually to allow you to move your legs freely. A knee support without any opening to expose the tendon tends to be stiff. Adjust the straps when you begin to feel too much pressure on the knee. Do not make the belt too tight to prevent numbness of the knee.
Sometimes when you purchase a knee brace, it can be not suitable for your size. To get the appropriate one, measure the circumference of your kneecap to get the right sizing for your knee, and if it is in-between sizes, you should purchase a smaller one. It weighs 4 ounces and comes in the following sizes: XS – 10″-12″, Small – 12″-14″, Medium – 14″-16″, Large – 16″-18″, XL – 18″-20″, XXL – 20″-22″. It has a dimension of 5.5 x 6.2 x 1.5 inches.
Hikers walk for long hours most times and nee something that would allow them to move their legs freely. This product does just that. It can be bought in six different sizes, making it great for anybody.
I would not advise you to wear this for more intensive hiking because it may not give the desired effect that your knee needs. No doubt that it shields knees from harm but also exposes them to danger. Not that we are hoping for one but “better safe than sorry.”
- MAXIMUM SUPPORT AND MOBILITY – Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Strap’s design provides maximum support above and below the kneecap without restricting movement to put pressure on the point of discomfort to alleviate pain and help you get back to doing what you love to do.
- Brand: Cho-Pat
- Material: –
- Size: XS-XXL
- Specific Uses: Arthritis, Tendonitis, Osgood Schlatter’s Disease, Chondromalacia
- Open knee area aids movement;
- Adjustable two-strap;
- Gives the knees good support;
- Improves Reduces joint stiffness;
- Great for runners.
- Not ideal for long-distance hiking;
- The exposed knee can be risky.
5. Vive Hinged Knee Brace – The Hinged Knee Brace for Hiking
This neoprene made brace should be on your checklist, as it is the only tool that can protect your legs from injuries. When going hiking, the possibility that anything can happen to you is high. From tripping to missing a step and rolling downhill. Get a brace like Vive Hinged Knee Brace, and you will never regret. If you have fragile knees, arthritis, osteoarthritis, or any disease of the joint, use this brace to gain sufficient knee care. It has a strap that you can pull to make it tighter or loose. Nothing depicts annoyingness like a brace that keeps slipping from your thighs, and you constantly need to be pulling. This product has solved that issue. Absorbs the sweat right away.
For now, you can only get one size of it. Also, it weighs 11.2oz and has dimensions of 10.6 x 7 x 2 inches.
The fact that it is supposed to be firm does not mean that you should pull the aluminum hinges until your leg feels numb. Just pull it to get a firm grip and if it is too uncomfortable, remove the aluminum hinges on both sides of the brace.
It is a comfortable knee brace that can give your knee the backing that it needs and shield it from further injuries. Also, while hiking, you can adjust the braces to suit your needs. Most reviews that I have read stated that material is not breathable at all. However, I find this knee support quite fine.
- IMPROVED KNEE STABILITY AND SUPPORT: The Vive hinged knee brace provides comfortable support while recovering from injuries or surgeries, and additional stability for weak or arthritic knees. The reversible, nonslip knee brace also provides soothing compression and retains therapeutic heat to reduce swelling and inflammation, relieve knee pain and promote healing on the left or right knee as needed.
- Brand: Vive
- Material: 3mm thick neoprene; Extra-strength fastening material
- Size: Single
- Specific Uses: Torn Meniscus, Swelling, Tendinitis, Arthritis
- Helps to release pain from joint inflammation;
- Easy wearing;
- The strap can be adjusted.
- Little airflow.
6. Abco Tech Patella Knee Strap – For Knee Pain Relief
People who go hiking keep spraining their knees and the ones with weak knees still think that going hiking, even if it is not an intensive one, must not involve knee braces. If you do not forget to sleep, you should not forget to go out hiking or to any sporting activity without a knee support. Abco Tech Patella Knee Strap is the kind of knee brace that you need when engaging in all the fun physical activities like hiking, swimming, biking, running, etc. Imagine going these activities, and the brace does not pull from the thighs. That is how tight this product is.
It lessens the knee pain and contributes to correcting misalignment of the knees. It is made from the best-quality soft neoprene padding and nylon, which is incredibly good at absorbing sweat, thereby preventing any slip and makes the product durable and long-lasting. It weighs 2.4 ounces and has a dimension of 6.4 x 4 x 1.8 inches. You can order for a small, medium, large, or extra-large size.
I like this product because it eases the discomfort in the knees.
- HIGH QUALITY & DURABLE - This Adjustable Knee Strap is made of high-quality, durable materials. The neoprene & nylon construction makes it light & soft, so you don’t feel any weight on your knees. Plus, the fabric is sweat absorbent for utmost comfort.
- Brand: Abco Tech
- Material: Nylon
- Size: Small/Medium and Large
- Specific Uses: Running, Hiking, Soccer, Basketball, Volleyball and Exercise
- Absorbs sweat;
- Compresses the patella tendon to relieve your aching muscles;
- Soft material;
- Does not cover the entire knee.
7. PowerLix Knee Guard – The Best Rated Knee Brace for Hiking
Every hiker, irrespective of the type of hiking that you go for, needs this PowerLix Knee sleeve product. You can put it on and never feel it’s there. For a strapless brace, it has a very strong grip on the leg, and this is as a result of the double silicone anti-slip wave that prevents it from pulling down even when you are sweating. Now, you can climb the tallest mountains and the toughest rocks, knowing that your knees are fully protected and you don’t have to think about stopping to pull up the brace or pulling on any strap adjust the fitting. When you put it on, it stays there. Did I mention that it is stretchy? It has a four-way stretch capacity, granting your legs free movement.
The product is available in small, medium, large, X-large, XX-large sizes and comes in black and blue colors.
Most users agree that the product is super-efficient. However, I heard a complaint that the size and length do not always correspond to the ordinary ones, but when one gets their perfect size, they really enjoy using it. It comes with a sleeve, so there is no need to adjust it every time. I consider this product the best knee support for mountain hiking. It is super comfortable and covers the entire knees without suffocating. It is breathable and provides support for the muscles. No matter what kind of indoor/outdoor activities you partake in, this product will work just fine. It will help you perfectly during hiking.
- All-in-One Knee Support: Our versatile knee sleeve combines the benefits of a knee brace, knee pads, and knee compression in one, making it ideal for volleyball, running, and supporting knee pain relief.
- Brand: POWERLIX
- Material: 80% Nylon 20% spandex
- Size: Large
- Specific Uses: Sprain, Swelling, Tendinitis, Arthritis, Plantar Fasciitis
- It can stretch;
- Breathable material;
- Sweat absorbent;
- Comes with sleeves and not Velcro strap.
- The product adds better pressure on the knee than behind it.
8. Cambivo 2 Pack Knee Brace – The Best Knee Protection for Healing
If you have sprained your knees during hiking and need the best protection during the healing process, then this product is a suitable option. Its anti-slip silicone material helps to hold the product in place. It is also sweat-absorbent and breathable, keeping the knees dry and well-ventilated all day long. While easing the pain, it gives the knee firm grip and allows unrestricted movements. It is ideal for gym use, running, hiking, etc.
To get your perfect size, use a measuring tape to get the circumference of your kneecap. If the measurement shows that your knee is in-between sizes, you should purchase a smaller one. It comes in XS, M, L, XL, and double XL sizes and weighs 6.4 ounces.
The elasticity of the material aids free leg movement. Also, it is convenient for downhill or any hiking because it is strapless, and its silicone anti-slip nature maintains a firm grip on the knee. This material is recommended to hand wash only and should be air-dried to avoid running its elasticity.
The product is good, but it is 78% true to size, which will make purchasing it a bit difficult, more like ‘by luck’ purchase. It may fit perfectly, or it may not. It also keeps pain associated with leg and joint injury. This sweat-absorbent product is what everyone needs.
- Benefits - CAMBIVO knee sleeves are featured with special 3D knitting technology that is effective in providing stable pressures to stabilize and support your knee and help to relieve arthritis pain; The knee brace also keep your knee warm and reduce stiffness; they are the best companion for your workouts and daily activities
- Brand: CAMBIVO
- Material: 65% nylon, 20% latex, 15% spandex
- Size: X-Large
- Specific Uses: Meniscus Tear, Running, Weightlifting, Workout, ACL, Arthritis, Joint Pain Relief
- Helps in the recovery of Meniscus and ACL;
- Breathable material;
- Reduces knee swelling.
- Size and length are not always accurate;
- Can be stiff.
9. Patella Tendon Knee Strap 2 Pack – The Best Knee Brace for Downhill
It offers knee support for hikers, bikers, footballers, baseballers, basketballers, and functions well for any form of outdoor or indoor activity. It is made from soft, breathable fabric, yet strong enough to ease the discomfort felt by people who have arthritis, disjointed kneecap, knee strains, tendinitis, etc. It absorbs shock taken by the knee during physical activities and helps to heal it.
The fastener can be adjusted to meet the size and requirement of the user. It is easy, and exceptionally light on the knee yet has a firm grip to guard the joint against dislocation during activities that stress the knees.
The issue I have with this knee brace is that it cannot absorb serious shock and is suitable for only trail hiking. It does not protect the whole knee. I would say it supports the knees, but not fully protects. This knee support is something I would use during a workout session or for a long walk on a flat surface trail.
- ADJUSTABLE STRAP can make adjustment according personal knee’s curves to supply better protection of patella; It is fully adjustable, fit up to 18-in and adjust tightness;
- Brand: Bodyprox
- Material: Nylon 59%, SBR 28%, Spandex 8%, Cotton 5%
- Size: One Size
- Specific Uses: Support Brace Hiking, Soccer, Basketball, Running, Jumpers Knee, Tennis, Tendonitis, Volleyball & Squats
- Adjustable band;
- Helps in the knee healing process;
- Soft, comfortable material;
- It can be easy cleaned.
- The stiffness can be discomforting;
- Scanty knee coverage.
10. Mava Sports Knee – The Best Knee Brace for Long Distance Hiking
If your legs are swollen or you have sprains or disjointed knee bones, arthritis, tendonitis and so on, then you need the support of this product. It does not slip or roll because of its anti-grip purpose. It is light and soft and can be worn beneath clothes. It is not breathable, and this heating effect aids fast muscular healing. Use this product if you would engage in any activity that will put away any form of stress on the knees. It can be washed in a machine and dries fast. Anyone can wear it and as it can be adjusted to suit your size. It weighs 3.2 ounces.
It will back the knee up and help decrease the pains caused by arthritis. It is not made of a fully breathable material, and that is what helps to heal muscles. However, this may not be very convenient for everyone.
This product helps with the compression of the tendon, but I am not sure if everyone can use it because it does not absorb sweat. This can make the material wet and may slip while engaging in physical activities.
- PAIN RELIEF from arthritis, joint pain relief, tendonitis, post-surgery, swelling as well as strains and sprains. The Mava compression knee sleeves reduce inflammation and swelling associated with injuries.
- Brand: Mava Sports
- Material: Nylon & Spandex
- Size: Small
- Specific Uses: Powerlifting, Weightlifting, Running, Gym Workout, Squats and Pain Relief
- Adequate pressure;
- Helps in muscular recovery;
- Popular for sporting activities;
- Comfortable for everyday use.
- Loses grip after multiple washes;
- Not sweat-absorbing.
Should i wear a knee brace when hiking?
Knee bands can provide support for the knee joint and help prevent pain and injury. They can also help stabilize the knee and prevent it from moving too much, which helps prevent pain and irritation. Knee support can be important when hiking long and challenging trails, even if you don’t have knee problems, it’s best to have a set to spare. It is advisable to consult with a healthcare professional before making a decision.
What are some ways to support your knees for hiking?
One way to support your knees for hiking is to use a knee brace. This is especially important if you are recovering from an injury. Another way to support your knees is to use hiking poles. This can help reduce the impact on your knees by as much as 25 to 40 percent.
How to Care for your Knee Brace?
To care for your knee brace, rinse it with cool water after each use and allow it to air dry. You may also need to disinfect it with a mild soap and water solution if it comes into contact with any dirt or debris. Be sure to avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaners on your brace, as this could damage it. Inspect your brace regularly for any signs of wear and tear, and replace it if necessary.
To care for your knee brace, rinse it with cool water after each use and allow it to air dry. You may need to disinfect it with a mild soap and water solution if it becomes dirty. Avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaners on your brace to prevent damage. Inspect your brace regularly for any signs of wear and tear.
Finding the Right Knee Guard — Conclusion
Making the right choice on your knee brace greatly depends on what needs you are looking to achieve with it. From the review above, you can see that some of the mentioned braces are ideal for extremely strenuous sports, exercises, and defects, while others are great for less stressful indoor and outdoor activities.
Are there dangers of wearing a knee support for hiking? Absolutely not. If you fall, it will protect your knees from injuries and help pre-existing injuries to heal fast. There are a lot of braces to choose from, but you need to understand your main purpose of wearing personal protection. Do you think knee supports will damage your knees? Probably yes, if you choose the wrong brace, which will not guard your knees. Also, in case you have already faced a knee injury, it is better to speak to a professional doctor who can help you decide on the best option. As you now know from the list, there are close knee braces and open ones.
What feature do you prefer most in your knee support? Open or closed? I personally prefer the ones with a little opening to allow leg movement. Due to the kind of hiking that I go for, I prefer the longer length, so that when I fall, the product takes most of the shock. Therefore, if you are going hiking on a mountain, it is advisable to purchase a knee sleeve that is long and probably bulky to create a greater level of support. For such kind of hiking, it would be best to get the one that has a little opening, to allow the movement of the leg. You can use the shorter ones for a workout or when you are taking a walk.
Before spending money on a knee brace, consider the following: the size, durability, material type, design properties, etc. We all experience pain differently, and what works for one person may not work for you. Avoid purchasing a knee brace by looking at its effect on another person. Still, it may not be the best solution for your knee need. Stick to what will work for you best.
It is imperative to get a knee brace that gives your knee the care that it needs. For example, when I sprained my knee, I made use of the UFlex Athletics Knee Sleeve, which was great for my knees. It helped in supporting my knee while it was healing, and when I could walk better, I used it for my hiking activities. I also got one for my son. Have you made use of UFlex Athletics Knee Sleeve before? What was your experience like? Are you engaged in sporting activities and what knee sleeve have you been using so far?