There can be many unforeseen situations that you should be prepared for on a multi-day hike. One of such issues is an abrupt change in the weather conditions. It is unpleasant to get caught in the pouring rain while traveling through the forest. To protect yourself from moisture, you need the right gear. In my own experience, the Coleman Sundome Tent is the best tent for heavy rain. Of course, other products also have high moisture resistance capacities and a design suitable for rainy weather. Below, you will find a list of five great awnings and a quick guide to help you make a choice.
5 Best Rainproof Tents I’ve Tested
- Coleman 2-Person Sundome Tent
- TETON Sports Mountain Ultra Tent
- Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL – best backpacking tent for heavy rain
- Best Waterproof Camping Tent for Family: NTK
- Hewolf Waterproof Instant Tents for Camping
One of the main performance characteristics of such tents is their water resistance because you use them not only in favorable weather conditions.
1. Best Tent for Rainy Conditions: Coleman
This model is not in vain at the top of my list. The product is a great choice for short hikes in rainy weather.
Like all Coleman’s products, the tent is equipped with a special WeatherTec system. It means that all the corners are hermetically welded, and the seams are inverted. The walls have a hydrostatic head of 600 mm. It is enough to withstand intermittent rain, making this model the top item on the list. At the same time, two large windows and openings in the floor area provide excellent ventilation. Also, the awning can withstand gusty winds with a speed of about 35 MPH.
The upper part of the tent is made of 75D polyester with Taffeta weave, which provides durability, wear-resistance, and excellent water repellency. The inner layer is made of a breathable polyester mesh, and durable polyethylene is at the bottom. The frame is flexible yet sturdy as it is made of 0.3-inch fiberglass.
Size and shape
This model has a classic dome shape. The size and weight directly depend on how many people the tent can accommodate. You can buy it for two, three, four, or six hikers. So, for example, a tent for a couple will weigh 7.5 pounds and have a ceiling height in the center of about 48 inches.
- Reliable protection against moisture;
- Withstands strong winds;
- Many sizes to choose from;
- Not suitable for cold weather.
- Dome tent with a sturdy frame that withstands 35+ mph winds
- Brand: Coleman
- Capacity: 2 Person
- Seasons: 3 Season
- Expanded size: 6.22 x 6.14 x 23.89 inches
- Weight: 7.5 Pounds
- Waterproof: 600 mm
2. Most Waterproof Tent with a Wide Base: Teton Sports
The second item on my list is a product from Teton Sports. It has a higher moisture resistance than the first product, but at the same time, it costs more.
According to the manufacturer, this tent is designed to be used in any weather. After testing it for some time, I concluded that it is more of a three-season item and not warm enough for winter use. But it will perfectly save you from heavy rain since the hydrostatic head of the walls is 3000 mm. However, in my opinion, the bathtub floor is not deep enough.
This product has double walls. The outer rainfly is made of 66D ripstop polyester and has heat-sealed seams, while the inner layer is made of 150D Oxford polyester. The tent’s floor is made of the same material, thanks to which the manufacturer managed to achieve special strength and durability of the product.
Size and shape
The hallmark of this dome-shaped model is its capacity. Whichever size you choose, you can be sure that everyone will be comfortable. All this is due to a wider base than competitors’ counterparts. You can choose an awning for one, two, three, or four people. The tent for two berths measures 82.5x63x45 inches and weighs about 7.2 pounds.
- High moisture resistance;
- Beginner-friendly installation;
- The bathtub floor is not deep enough.
- STAY DRY: Waterproof rainfly with a 360-degree ventilation system for optimal air flow that allows a cool, comfortable night’s sleep; 1 to 4 person camping tents available
- Brand: TETON Sports
- Capacity: 4 Person
- Seasons: All Weather
- Expanded size: 80″ x 30″ x 41″ (203 x 76 x 104 cm)
- Weight: 4.7 lbs (2.2 kgs)
- Waterproofing: 3000 mm
3. Best Tent for Rainy Weather for Small Weight: Big Agnes
This model from Big Agnes is recognized by many hikers as one of the most lightweight and waterproof tents on the market today. The whole series was so successful that the company even re-designed it in 2020. In my opinion, its main drawback is the really high cost.
The tent is 100% waterproof. The fabric is reinforced with armored thread and silicone coating, and all the seams are fully taped so that no moisture, even from the ground, penetrates inside. The tent can withstand 1200 mm of water column pressure, which is perfect for camping in rainy weather. It protects you equally well from strong winds and hot sun. Two spacious vestibules provide excellent ventilation in sunny weather.
Total protection from rain and moisture is achieved by using siliconized nylon with yarns of different densities and double ripstop treatment on both the floor and the walls. On the inside, the fabric is covered with polyurethane to create a greater tightness. The poles are made of DAC NFL, 0.34 inches thick.
Size and shape
Like the previous products on my list, this model has a dome shape and is available in several sizes for one, two, three, or four hikers. The two-berth model weighs only 3.15 pounds and is 88×52/42 (head/foot) inches. If you wish, you can open the vestibules and make a recreation area there.
- Extra lightweight;
- Fast installation;
- Completely waterproof;
- Many pockets.
- Pretty expensive.
- FULLY REDESIGNED - One of our best-selling, full-featured, ultralight backpacking tents, the Copper Spur HV UL series just got better with new features inside and out, proprietary materials that are stronger and lighter, and hardware that makes setting up even easier
- Brand: Big Agnes
- Capacity: 3 Person
- Seasons: All Weather
- Expanded size: 20.87 x 5.91 x 5.91 inches
- Weight: 1.59 Kilograms
- Waterproof: 1200 mm
4. Best Waterproof Camping Tent for Family: NTK
NTK Hunter GT is a great camping awning for a large family or a group of 5-6 friends at an affordable price.
This model is a 3-season tent, so I would not recommend using it in low temperatures. At the same time, it copes well with protection from strong wind and rain. The product has a waterproof rating of 2500 mm. The floor covering has a high barrier to prevent moisture from the ground and puddles from getting inside. In the heat, an ultra-thin polyester mesh protects hikers from high temperatures and insects.
The tent is made of 100% waterproof polyester with a density of 190T, which is additionally laminated with polyurethane. Besides the high-quality polyester used for the floor and inner walls, it is also worth mentioning lightweight poles. They are made of Nano-flex fiberglass and are interconnected by double chrome metal lugs.
Size and shape
As stated by the manufacturer, up to 6 hikers can fit in the tent. At the same time, its size is 69x118x118 inches, and it seemed to me that it’s not quite enough for so many people. This awning is dome-shaped, comfortable both for being inside and for placing it under the trees. The large D-shaped door makes it easy to get in and out of the tent.
- Reasonable price;
- Stable design;
- Quality materials;
- Additional storage pockets.
- Might not be spacious enough for six people.
- Brand: NTK
- Capacity: 6 Person
- Seasons: Summer, Spring, Fall
- Expanded size: 135 x 210 x 210cms 4.4 x 7 x 7FT
- Weight: 15.2 Pounds
- Waterproof: 2500 mm
- DESIGNED FOR QUICK & EASY ASSEMBLY – The hunter 5/6 person tent is great for true campers. With easy assembly, the spacious one door tent weighs 15.2Lb with a comfortable floor size of 9.8FT x 9.8FT and 6FT center height for maximum comfort.
5. Best Camping Tents for Rain with Unique Setup System: Hewolf
I like this model for its excellent performance and unique installation system, making it a perfect option for beginner hikers.
The tent is great for both sunny and rainy weather. The walls have two layers, one of which reliably protects from rain (moisture resistance is 2000 mm), and the second one shields you from ultraviolet radiation. If you want, you can remove all the details and use the awning as a simple shelter from the sun on the beach. If properly placed, the tent can withstand gusts up to 15 MPH, but not more.
Like the previous model, this item is made of waterproof 190T polyester. An important advantage of the tent is a very convenient installation system. Thanks to a special frame, you can assemble it in just a minute. Just pull the structure up and secure the stakes. Even a beginner can set it up without any problems.
Size and shape
The tent’s dimensions are 40.1x7x6.7 inches, so it can fit up to 3 adults or 4 kids. If you use the awning as a sun canopy, then its area is enough for 5 adults. Two doors provide excellent ventilation. In shape, it is a hexagon, which is fixed by a frame of 6 arms. The awning is quite heavy and weighs almost 12 pounds.
- Convenient assembly system;
- Good price;
- Excellent ventilation.
- Automatic hydraulic hexagon fast pitch outdoor cinch comfortable 2 person with luggage camping tent
- Brand: Hewolf
- Capacity: 4 Person
- Seasons: 3 Season
- Expanded size: 40.1 x 7 x 6.7 inches
- Weight: 5.35 Kilograms
Buyer’s Guide on Tent for Heavy Rain
Moisture resistance is one of the key factors when choosing weatherproof tents, but far from the only one. In this section, you will find all the information you need to buy a good product and stay dry while camping.
How to rainproof a tent
No matter how reliable the item you choose is, rain protection can only be effective if you prepare your tent properly. To increase its waterproof properties, you can treat it with a water repellent shortly before your hike. If you are unsure of the tightness of the seams, use a special tent sealant. At home, before going out, check that the rainfly is fastened securely and that there are no gaps anywhere.
Things to consider before buying a tent for heavy rain
A heavy rain tent should have several essential characteristics that distinguish it from conventional short trekking awnings:
- Hydrostatic head (water resistance). Traditionally, it is measured in mm, which allows a consumer to understand how much water the fabric can withstand. Good tents for rain have a rating of 6000 mm and can withstand many days of heavy rain. For slight precipitation, 1500-2000 mm is enough.
- Seasonality. Choose three-season or all-season tents. Only such models can withstand heavy rain and the accompanying gusty wind.
- The number of layers. For severe weather conditions, it is recommended to choose two-layer products. The upper layer protects against moisture, and the lower does not allow condensation to accumulate.
- Material. The most effective rain protection is polyester, which can be additionally treated with silicone or polyurethane. Thanks to these materials, these tents are easy to clean.
Heavy rain camping tips
To avoid the hassle of heavy rain and high humidity, choose the right camping site. It should be located on a hill so that moisture does not accumulate under the floor. You might want to sit under the trees as they provide additional protection from the rain. At the same time, in strong winds, they can be dangerous. It is also not recommended to set up a tent under rocks and cliffs due to the possibility of falling stones and near water bodies since rain can cause them to overflow banks. Stretch the tent material well over the poles; otherwise, water will collect in the folds.
Camp in Any Weather with Waterproof Tents
The choice of a tent should be approached very responsibly because it is your home for the entire trip. Quiet sleep and the joy of travel depend on how comfortable, spacious, and dry it is in an awning. In my opinion, Coleman Sundome Tent is a versatile choice for hiking in any weather. I hope my list of the top products and the guide will help you choose the most suitable model.
Please share your tips for choosing a heavy-rain tent. What do you pay attention to? Which model do you like?
Can a tent withstand heavy rain?
If your tent is properly constructed, it should be able to withstand heavy rain. However, tents can often flood from below, not from above. To prevent this, you can place a heavy-duty tarp under your tent. Make sure that none of the tarp extends out from underneath your tent.
What is waterproof 3000mm?
A waterhead rating of 3000mm means that the fabric of a tent could withstand the pressure of a 3000mm column of water. 3000mm of water produces more pressure than 2000mm of water. A more accurate description of a waterhead rating is the measurement of water pressure that is equivalent to a 3000mm column of water. Therefore, you should pay attention to such an indicator as water resistance when choosing a tent.
How do you keep a tent dry in the rain?
There are a few things you can do to keep your tent dry in the rain. First, make sure that your tent is well-ventilated. Second, use a tarp or groundsheet to keep the rain from getting in. Third, use Guy lines to secure the tarp or groundsheet. fourth, use a rain fly to protect the top of your tent. Finally, make sure that all of your gear is dry before you pack it up. You can also purchase a spray to protect your tent from rain.