Best 0 Degree Backpacking Sleeping Bag to Buy in 2021
Do you want to purchase the best 0-degree backpacking sleeping bag that will keep you warm all night? It can be difficult to find the right one because there are so many options available on the market. Sleeping bags differ in shapes, sizes, and are also designed for different temperatures. If you want to travel somewhere in winter or even fall, you need a warm one that will also be lightweight and durable. With the help of these 0-degree sleeping bag reviews, you will be able to compare different features of sleeping bags and also find the one that would be perfect for you.
5 Great Sleeping Bags to Choose in 2020
- Sierra Designs Taquito 0 Degree Down Sleeping Bag
- Coleman 0°F Mummy Sleeping Bag for Big and Tall Adults
- Kelty Cosmic 0 Degree Down Sleeping Bag
- TETON Sports LEEF Lightweight Adult Mummy Sleeping Bag
- Ledge Sports Featherlite +0 F Degree Ultra Light Design
It’s important to choose one based on your priorities. In this review, you will find great products that will all work in 0-degree conditions but differ in their weight, materials, and other features.back to menu ↑
1. Sierra Designs Taquito Down Sleeping Bag – A Well-Insulated 0 Degree Bag
This item features 550 fill power DriDown, which is what ensures that you don’t get cold when it’s 0 degrees. The zipper tracks have an anti-snag feature, so you can get in and out of it fast and not be afraid that the fabric will get caught in the process.
Another important part of the bag is the draft dodger collar, which works great for protecting you from the wind and also sealing in the heat. The hood can also be adjusted to fit snugly around your head. This choice is affordable and works well in different weather conditions, so it’s certainly a great option but you have to make sure that it’s not too short for you if you are a taller person.
- Think Outside: Our Taquito sleeping bags are filled with 550 fill power DriDown for lightweight warmth. Perfect for backpacking or camping, these bags have a anti-snag zipper to make getting in and out a breeze. A draft doger collar seals in heat and keeps drafts out making sure you stay comfortable all night (or day).
- Features: Adjustable cinch hood to keep in warmth on cold nights. Insulation: 550 fill power DriDown. Shell Fabric: 20D polyester Ripstop. Liner Fabric: 20D Polyester Taffeta. Available in 0 degree, 20 degree, and 35 degree
- Specs: ISO limit temp rating: 4 degrees F | ISO comfort temp rating: 17 degrees F | Weight: 3 lbs 1.75 oz | Fits up to: 6' | Length: 72" | Shoulder circumference: 62" | Hip circumference 58" | Footbox Circumference: 40" | Stuff sack size 17 x 10.5"
- Versatile: The Taquito is your go to bag for backpacking trips, climbing trips at the crag, car camping adventures at the campground, and everyday use. 550 fill down and durable fabrics ensure this bag will be your favorite bag for years to come.
- Warranty: Limited Lifetime Warranty – When purchased from an authorized retailer, Sierra Designs products are warranted to the original purchaser against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product. Contact our Customer Service team for prompt service or to answer any questions.
- Lightweight and convenient;
- Has a draft dodger collar;
- The hood is adjustable.
- It may be too short for some people.
back to menu ↑
2. Coleman North Rim – A Warm 0 Degree Mummy Sleeping Bag
The second sleeping bag on this list is Coleman North Rim. It is made in the so-called mummy style. Thanks to this shape, the air is trapped around your body in such a way that it is especially effective at keeping you warm. Coleman North Rim weighs 5.8 pounds and its dimensions are 17.1 x 12.35 x 12 inches. It means that a person up to 6 feet 2 inches in height can comfortably use it.
This model has a drawstring so you can properly tighten your hood and don’t lose heat when it’s cold. When it comes to the additional features, this item has a ZipPlow system that prevents the fabric from being snagged while you zip up. The construction of this model is quilted and the foot box is properly insulated. This model comes with a stuff sack in which you can pack it compactly and carry it with you.
While it’s not the most lightweight model out there, Coleman North Rim is a great option to consider. It is affordable and it will keep you warm at 0 degrees Fahrenheit thanks to its features.
- Mummy-style adult sleeping bag for camping in temperatures as low as 0 degrees Fahrenheit
- Can accommodate most people up to 6 feet 2 inches in height
- Semi-sculpted hood tightens with a drawstring to seal in heat; Unzip the bottom for extra ventilation on warmer nights
- Quilting construction, insulated footbox, and thermolock draft tube for warmth and heat retention
- ZipPlow system plows away fabric to prevent snagging during zipping
- Keeps you warm;
- Has a drawstring on a hood;
- Has a two-way zipper;
- Fairly bulky.
back to menu ↑
3. Kelty Cosmic 0 Degree – My Favorite Cheap 0 Degree Sleeping Bag
The regular version can be successfully used by people up to 6 feet tall. It is not the most lightweight option available on the market, so it’s important to know whether you can carry it for a long time before taking it with you.
The item features a 600-fill DriDown that works as insulation. Thanks to this material, you will stay warm when it’s 0 degrees outside. While this model has water-resistant down insulation, it won’t be enough in more extreme conditions, such as melting snow. This model includes some excellent features, such as a draft tube that fully protects you from winds and also a draft collar. If you are used to sleeping on the side, you will be able to do so in this sleeping bag, as it has enough space. Once you are done using the Kelty Cosmic 0 degree, you can place it in a stuff sack that comes with it. Overall, this option is most ideal for short trips.
- Year Round Comfort: The Kelty Cosmic 0 Degree sleeping bag is ideal for 4-season backpacking and camping. Water-resistant down insulation and an array of features make this sleeping bag a great combination of value and comfort.
- This sleeping bag is insulated with 600-fill DriDown. Renowned for efficiency in retaining heat and compressible properties, down has an incredibly soft, comfortable feel, and continues to provide the best warmth-to-weight ratio of any insulation.
- Employing a unique, innovative polymer application, DriDown actually creates a hydrophobic finish on each individual plume of down. This treatment results in insulation that stays dry longer and dries faster.
- A draft tube behind the 60" two-way locking anti-snag zipper and an insulated hood enhance the thermal efficiency of the Cosmic 0 Degree bag.
- A polyester taffeta liner provides internal comfort. Other features include a small pocket to keep electronics handy and a naturally-shaped foot box.
- Affordable sleeping bag;
- Has a draft collar and tube.
- Not suitable for the melting snow conditions;
- Quite heavy.
back to menu ↑
4. Teton Sports LEEF – A Lightweight Zero Degree Sleeping Bag
Teton Sports LEEF is another winter sleeping bag with useful features for added convenience and comfort. The first thing to mention about this bag is its dimensions. It measures 15 x 9 x 9 inches while packed and weighs around 4.2 pounds. It is considered a lightweight model, so it’s the one that most adults can carry comfortably.
The shell of the bag is a 40D water-resistant ripstop and it has synthetic insulation achieved by the use of microfiber fill. If you often experience that you get cold feet, you would be happy to hear that it has additional foot box insulation. Just like some other models, it includes a draft tube and you can also pull the strings on your hood to make sure that you don’t suffer from the wind. Zippers in this model are anti-snag so you don’t worry about ripping the material.
There is also an excellent addition on the inside – an internal pocket with a zipper for your phone, keys, or other small items. You don’t have to roll this Teton Sports LEEF when you are done using it, as it has a compression sack. It’s definitely a convenient mummy sleeping bag that is not too heavy.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND WARM: Tired of your feet getting cold? This is the sleeping bag for you; Designed with added insulation in the footbox; Exceptionally warm and lightweight for backpacking
- COMFORTABLE: Three-piece hood pulls in tightly around your face to keep your whole head warm; Foot box provides more room for your feet; Full-length zipper draft tube keeps the warm air in
- NEVER ROLL YOUR SLEEPING BAG AGAIN: TETON provides a great compression sack for stuffing your sleeping bag; Start at the bottom and stuff the bag in, then tighten the heavy-duty straps
- SLEEP WARM: EN rated sleeping bag; Extreme -8F (-22C), Limit 23F (-5C), Comfort 34F (1C); Fluff your sleeping bag and use a camp pad to sleep warmer; Hang loops for long-term storage to maintain maximum loft
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE: Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN COUNT ON US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with TETON Sports
- Includes a fleece layer inside for warmth;
- Includes an interior pocket;
- Footbox insulation included;
- Suitable for tall people up to 6’3’’ in height.
- Can be too narrow for some people;
- Cannot be machine-washed.
back to menu ↑
5. Ledge Sports Featherlite – The Most Compact Sleeping Bag 0 Degrees
Similar to other models in this category, it has synthetic outer material and the fill. On the outside, it has Dobby Diamond 250T Ripstop Shell and microfiber fill that allows you to sleep in warmth even when it’s 0 degrees. One interesting thing about this bag is that the manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty on seams and zippers. It’s also possible to connect two sleeping bags with the help of zippers and create a large one for two people. Another useful feature that should be mentioned is the external pocket for miscellaneous small items, such as your phone, earplugs, and such.
The compression sack is present with this lightweight 0-degree sleeping bag and it works well. It includes 4 straps to ensure that it is tight and you can even fit some additional small items inside. If you are someone who needs a lightweight sleeping bag with the most essential features in place, Ledge Sports Featherlite is surely the one you should keep in mind.
- Size: 84 inches X 32 inches X 20 inches, Packed Uncompressed: 17 inches X 9 inches
- Fill Weight: 1.9 lb., Pack Weight: 3.8 lb.
- Dobby Diamond 250T Ripstop Shell, Softech II 210T Liner, YKK Zippers
- Hibernate Extreme, Micro Denier, Continuous Filament Fiber Fill
- T-8 Compression Sack, Synthetic Fill
- Portable and lightweight;
- Comes with a durable compression sack;
- Easy to maintain;
- Has reliable zippers.
- Can be too small for some users.
back to menu ↑
How to Choose the Best Sleeping Bag for You
Do you want to find the best 0 degree sleeping bag for your needs? In this buyer’s guide, you can learn information about the their types and which factors to keep in mind before making your purchase.back to menu ↑
Types of sleeping bags
Sleeping bags differ when it comes to their shape, fill, temperature compatibility, and more.
What are the shapes of sleeping bags?
Different shapes that you can currently find include the following.
The reason why this shape is so popular is that it is great at keeping you warm. When a sleeping bag tapers towards the feet and has a snug fit, you won’t lose heat when you sleep. They are more restricting compared to other shapes but ideal for heat retention. If you plan to have a trip and it is cold outside, these sleeping bags zero degree are great options for you.
This is a regular version and is the most popular option for camping because it is especially comfortable. You can use one for a summer camp, different sleepovers, and it can even be used as a blanket when you open it. They don’t retain heat as effectively as the mummy ones, so they won’t work in tough weather conditions.
Double sleeping bag
This is an option for couples, as the doublewide bag is designed to fit two people. This is also one of those options that work well for fairly warm temperatures and activities, such as car camping. You can often find models that can be unzipped and turned into two separate sleeping bags.
Another shape that you can find is a semi-rectangular one. It looks like a combination of the mummy bag and the rectangular, as the top is rectangular but there is a tighter fit around your feet. Most of the time it can be turned into a blanket. This shape makes it a great choice for both backpacking and camping in warmer weather.back to menu ↑
Do I Need a 0-degree Backpacking Sleeping Bag?
If you love camping throughout late fall, early spring, and even winter, then having a 0 degree sleeping bag is a must. Keep in mind though, models in this category are fairly heavy and will occupy more space in your backpack. Also, don’t forget that in order to keep warm, you should definitely invest in an insulated pad that has an R-value of at least 5.5.back to menu ↑
What to Look for When Buying a 0 Degree Backpacking Sleeping Bag
Shape and temperature compatibility are not the only factors you have to assess to find the ideal bag for you. If you want to buy a great 0 degrees sleeping bag, make sure that you know this information.
It is better when zippers are anti-snag and don’t pull your fabric, as this reduced the chances of ripping the material and also getting stuck. You can also two-way zippers that are convenient for ventilation if it gets warmer.
Having drawstrings on your hood is essential when the temperature is low. It’s important to find a sleeping bag with a hood that fits tightly around your head and can be adjusted to your size.
A draft collar and a draft tube are extremely valuable when you have to sleep in windy conditions.
The inner lining and outer shell
It is better to avoid cotton as an inner lining for cold weather and go for flannel, fleece, fine nylon, or polyester, which are the most popular options. The outer shell is made from synthetic material and nylon-ripstop works well. You should make sure that the material is water-resistant.
They are excellent for keeping your phone, keys, and other items. You can find external and internal options, but the latter is preferred in a colder climate.
Having a stuff sack allows you to compress your bag to the max, so it’s easier to carry, so it’s something you should not miss out on.back to menu ↑
Find a Sleeping Bag That Will Keep You Warm
All sleeping bags presented in this review deserve attention. They will keep you warm at 0 degrees, but it’s also important to consider which additional features you need and whether it has to be lightweight. Sierra Designs Taquito is a great option for both men and women, as it’s affordable, doesn’t weigh a lot, and has protection from wind. You can compress it into a sack and carry it with you comfortably.
Do you have a favorite sleeping bag? What are the factors you consider before buying one? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Last update on 2021-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API